755 opinions needed

/ 755 opinions needed #1  

mousedoc

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD110, 318 and 955
How capable would a 755 be at handling personal logging (4-5 cord a year) in moderate terrain, and snow removal with a front blade on a 250’ gravel driveway also with a moderate slope?

Last edited:
   / 755 opinions needed #2  
mousedoc said:
How capable would a 755 be at handling personal logging (4-5 cord a year) in moderate terrain, and snow removal with a front blade on a 250’ gravel driveway also with a moderate slope?

I can't answer the question about skidding logs, but if you kept them log fairly small (6-8 inches in diameter) or short (10-12 feet and a larger diameter), that tough little 755 should do OK.
I skidded a couple large branches (probably 6" diameter and 15-20 feet long) behind my 670. I did have to use the differential lock on and off though. This wasn't for firewood...I was just clearing out some fallen branches. Biggest problem I had was when the butt of the branches dug into the ground. If I were to do this regularly, I'd rig some kind of sled (maybe an old hood off a car or truck...junk yard stuff).
As far as the snow pushing....well, the 755 is pretty light. If you have chains and rear ballast (400-600 pounds), it should do OK up to 6" of wet heavy snow and maybe 8" of the fluffy stuff. The front end will get pushed to the side if the blade is angled. If you're using an blade that cannot be angled, I suggest you make your first passes when the snow reaches 4" in depth.
I normally make my first passes (with a 790) when the snow reaches 8" in depth. I use the loader and rear blade.

/ 755 opinions needed #3  
mousedoc said:

The only front blade I am aware of for the 755 is not like the newer quick hitch stuff and I'm not sure if you can still buy one. The blade I am familiar with for it requires quite a bit of install time and is quite heavy, more of a dozer blade with some under frame bars and such.
The 755 is very capable of doing what you want although it is a little underpowered. As far as logging, ground clearance is decent, but I would think that a 855 or 955 would be a better choice and will have better power.

/ 755 opinions needed #4  
I keep about 400 foot drive clear for my father in law with my 755 and a 5 and a half foot rear blade. We have not had any snows like they get in N.Y. but we had a 6 inch snow with some good drifts in it. I had no problem keeping it cleared out for them. As for logging I have no experience with that. Mine is 2 wheel drive with a 180 lb of wheel weights on each side. If you are talking about a 4 wheel drive you should have no problem with snow.
I also pull a plow with mine and have pretty good luck with that. I think for a 20 hp engine they are pretty impressive. I am sure that a 855 or 955 would be more impressive, there is no subtitute for hp and weight.

/ 755 opinions needed
Thanks for the input. It sounds like while the 755 will (within reason) handle these tasks, I would be better served by a little more hp and weight.

I’ve been trying to find the “perfect” all around tractor within my budget and am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should keep my 318 to handle the mowing (1.5-2 acres) and find something in the 25-30 hp range for the heavier work.

/ 755 opinions needed #6  
I have a 755. I live part of the "snow belt" of North Central Massachusetts.

My 755 with turf tires and with the MFWD engaged has never gotten hung up. I just use the FEL bucket to clear the snow.

I have a snow blower for it but I have never put it on.

It is a great little tractor.

With the hydro it is actually great for clearing the driveway.

I have a bigger tractor too (4700) but the 755 is my choice for the snow clean up because the hydro is better for the finesse of cleaning up around the obstacles.

/ 755 opinions needed #7  
I have a 855 4WD which I like alot. If you find a good 755 at the right price, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. Bigger may be better in many cases, but if you have a lawn and/or tight space, smaller may have it's advantages too.

Iv'e pulled some fir size trees. I think it would serve you well.

/ 755 opinions needed #8  
mousedoc said:
Thanks for the input. It sounds like while the 755 will (within reason) handle these tasks, I would be better served by a little more hp and weight.

I’ve been trying to find the “perfect” all around tractor within my budget and am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should keep my 318 to handle the mowing (1.5-2 acres) and find something in the 25-30 hp range for the heavier work.

One thing I like about my 755 is that it will handle some larger jobs but it is small enough to mow my yard with. I had a 322 that I kept for a while to mow with after getting my 755 but I decided I no longer needed it as the 755 would do all I needed. For me it is the perfect tractor. I like the frame size of the 55 series and the 60 inch deck is easy to mow around things with. I am thinking of buying a new one in the near future but I believe I will keep my 755 for smaller jobs and mowing.

/ 755 opinions needed
One of my concerns with the 755/855 is the ground clearance when in the woods. Tractordata.com shows them both as 9.9”, is this a reasonable amount of clearance for working in the woods? Also, are there any advantages to the longer wheelbase (57” vs 64”) of the 855?

/ 755 opinions needed #10  
Also, are there any advantages to the longer wheelbase (57” vs 64”) of the 855?
The 855 has the same wheelbase as my 955, so, I'm guessing they used some of that to make the operator's compartment bigger than the 755's. I know my brother's 755 feels like a compact car compared to the 955's SUV'ish accomodations. ;)