Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #1  

Jason B

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 425( soon to be 455)
Hi

I am still getting used to my new to me Deere 425 AWS with 60 inch deck. However when I engage the PTO at the recommended speed( in the manual) the tractor will die out but after a second, it returns to normal full operating power and after the mower runs it is great. Any suggestions as to what the trouble might be? Any help would be greatly apprecated. Local dealer said that the 425 might be a little underpowered for a 60 inch deck and offered me the chance to go down to a 54 inch deck if I want to. Take Care Jason B

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #2  
I think you're just experiencing normal starting torque. That's a lot of blade to start spinning instantly. I don't think the 425 is too light for a 60 inch deck. They sold thousands of them.

Try engaging at a slightly lower RPM, and then ramping up, if the lug down bothers you.

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #3  
actually, the 425 IS a little light in the pto hp dept. I used one of these tractors for over ten years and 700 hrs, and with a 54" deck, found under some conditions it was all the deck the tractor could handle. If you could trade for a 54", I think you would be happier.

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #4  
So, there is a significant difference between the 425 and 455? I ask because my 455 will take the 60 inch deck through some really tall, tough turf and never complain. I think the HP ratings are almost the same, but the 455 diesel might have quite a bit more torque.

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #5  
I used to have a 445 with 54 inch deck. Same engine as the 425 but the 445 was fuel injected. Sounds normal for deck startup. I wouldn't worry about the 60 inch deck unless you are always cutting tall grass. My 445 had the 54 inch deck and it would bog down a bit in high grass but then again I had mulching blades on it. I would give some time before and see how it goes. Keep your blades sharp and that should help.

I have since switched to the 455 with 60 inch deck. Nothing seems to slow it down and it is very pleasing on fuel.

Craig

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #6  
jeffinsgf said:
So, there is a significant difference between the 425 and 455? I ask because my 455 will take the 60 inch deck through some really tall, tough turf and never complain. I think the HP ratings are almost the same, but the 455 diesel might have quite a bit more torque.
jeff,

There is a significant difference between the 425, the 445, and the 455. With the diesel torque of the 455 you could engage that 60" at idle and it wouldn't protest, but with the gas variants (although the fuel injected 445 was more powerful than the carburated 425), you would instantly kill the engine. The diesels just have more power.

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #7  
I just traded my 445 w/60" MMM for a new 2305 because I needed a slightly larger tractor for loader work, etc., but not because I ever had a problem with the 445. The engine rpm's would drop some when I engaged the mower, but it never came close to dying. And would that thing ever mow. High grass and low brush were never a problem. I hope the 2305 mows as well.

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #8  
gary_dsc said:
I just traded my 445 w/60" MMM for a new 2305 because I needed a slightly larger tractor for loader work, etc., but not because I ever had a problem with the 445. The engine rpm's would drop some when I engaged the mower, but it never came close to dying. And would that thing ever mow. High grass and low brush were never a problem. I hope the 2305 mows as well.
gary,

I think you'll be as happy with the 2305 cut as you were on your 445. You will certainly have more power. The ride of the 445 is a bit better, but you'll quickly get used to the 2305. For the loader, the joystick vs. turnsignal stalks is day and night. The hydraulics are also much quicker. You might even see an improvement in uncut circle, although you did have the 60" deck on your 445. When you get the new tractor, let us know your thoughts!

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #9  
Well, JDFanatic, you're right as usual. I mowed about 3 acres yesterday with the new 2305 and it does cut very well. The grass in the waterway was a little higher in places, but the tractor/mower didn't even work up a sweat. I didn't have to slow down at all like I would have with the 445. The only problem that I ran into was when I was mowing beside the woods and I forgot about that darn ROPS a couple of times. I didn't break anything on the tractor (or the trees), but it surprised me when I ran into the branches. I guess that I'll have to do some trimming and pay better attention when I'm mowing. Other than that, things couldn't have gome better. I going to try mowing the yard around the house tomorrow and I've got lots of things to be mindful of there like clothesline posts, etc., so I'll really test out it's maneuverability. So far, the 2305 is a great mowing machine.

/ Engaging PTO on 425 with 60 inch deck #10  
Electric pto clutches faster then lightning engagement brings many engines to their knees when starting a deck. Hydraulic wet clutch systems are far easier on all the parts especially the belts.