Axle weight vs. fluid

/ Axle weight vs. fluid #1  

LWB

I wanted to revisit a topic discussed here last week. Hopefully some of the blood-letting has subsided. I've been following this forum for quite some time now but as a newly registered member, not having posted before, was somewhat taken aback at how outraged some members get when responding to certain "not so apparent" :eek: hot button personal opinions ... opinions formed from decades of experience. Be that as it may, I offered my apologies after recognizing things had morphed into emotion-dom where no valid points could further be made. Life goes on. Here is the point that I was trying to make. One respondent mentioned traction testing where two identically equipped tractors were pulling identical euipment under identical circumstanses. Paraphrasing, the results of the testing cited were: axle weights are better than no weights and no weights are better than fluid weight. To me, if that test was conducted only as cited, the results are flawed because there is signifigant missing information. Here's why. Consider three identically installed biased tires side by side with the weight configurations as follows: Tire #1, with axle weights, will have the best traction because it will have the largest footprint. Tire #2, bearing no additional weight, will have the second best traction because the tires will have at least some inert flexibility. Tire #3, containing 75% fluid, will have the worst traction because the fluid will counter the tire flex, resulting in the smallest footprint and just adding dead weight. None of this, however, takes into account adjusting the air pressure ... the point I so sorely missed getting accross last week. So let's examine that train of thought for a moment. Tire #1 will have the largest footprint and, therefore, the most traction, but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case the added axle weight will cause the tire to flex more. Without adding air pressure the tire will be weaker around the rim (less air pressure, enabling possible separation from the bead under load) and sidewall cracking (from too much flex). Tire #2, depending on the load, would suffer increased slippage wear and related higher fuel costs). Tire #3, having the least flex, would therefore have the greatest slippage issues. So, if you go by manufacturers recomendations that I've been advised of through the years, add or reduce air pressure to four bars touching the ground at all times (R1's) with "slight" flexing evident. This automatically :D puts the fluid filled tires back to a similar footprint as the correctly pressurized axle weighted tires. Walla! Valid testing results can be expected! No signifigant difference should be apparent in the performance of either tractor #1 or tractor #3 EXCEPT some people will still argue that axle weight causes additional differential wear and a higher center of gravity and others will argue that fluid is more problematic if leaking. My opinion is that correctly set up and maintained equipment doesn't give you any more problems than anything else and if it does break down it's usually something you least expect. The above information is offered only as an opinion and no response is necessary.

/ Axle weight vs. fluid #2  
I think that you would benefit from looking up some of the university and tire company testing that has taken place.

/ Axle weight vs. fluid #3  
All is well with a static tractor with your theory! When you start to roll it changes the shape, and the tire configuration and that is the difference. The speed that the tire can implement that perfect flat spot on the bottom all the time will vary between an air tire and one that has solution in it.

/ Axle weight vs. fluid
JerryG: Your advice is noted but at this stage of life my time is better spent with my grand children. Tractors and grandchildren just naturally go together once they get a few years on them; the grandchildren I mean. Universities used to be centers for "higher" learning but these days I'm not all that impressed. It seems that when they want to come up with an answer to support their position they'll find a way to do it. As for tire companies, like most industries, they're evolutionary. A lot has changed in the last several decades and I'm sure that trend will continue. We all know that radial tires are a vast improvement for heavy tractors putting on a lot of hours but I was equally impressed by Titan's Long Bar - Medium Bar High Traction design. I swear, it's the same as driving a tractor with chains!

/ Axle weight vs. fluid #5  
Titans tires are one of the best for traction, there are others that work as well and some that are like taking twenty percent of the horsepower off a tractors performance.

/ Axle weight vs. fluid
art said:
Titans tires are one of the best for traction, there are others that work as well and some that are like taking twenty percent of the horsepower off a tractors performance.
Can you tell me what the trade-off is in the ride using the high traction Titans? I like the grip, but at about 3 mph it actually feels like you have chains on when driving on hard surfaces (vibration). It was that way from the day I bought it - with or without weighted tires. My dealer says it's the tires but I've driven a lot of 100% lug tires and never experienced this before.

/ Axle weight vs. fluid #7  
I've logged a few hours on a number of different types/models over the years. But, it's been a few years.... ago.

Can't say that I've ever driven a tractor on a hard surface -- concrete, asphalt, gravel road --- that I didn't get the shimmy, rattle and roll with a little speed.

I have little doubt, however, that it's a matter of degree.... some shake, shimmy and rattle more than others and that's why there has been so much research done to look at slippage, and wear rates, and degree of tread angle; etc.

But for those of us who log less than 200 hours per year running a tractor that burns a gallon an hour --- it comes done to a question of what's cheaper.

Wheel wts. vs filled. If you can get one versus the other for a difference of $100 bucks; that's probably what you're gonna do.

And slippage and wear rates and fuel savings and smoother travel on hard surfaces is likely gonna come out in the wash....

AKfish

/ Axle weight vs. fluid #8  
   / Axle weight vs. fluid #9  
Quote from LBrown: Why are we adding weight in the first place?
Is it for traction or stability?

yes