Tires Loader Rated tires?

/ Loader Rated tires? #1  

Nuru

Elite Member
All, I will soon have another set of tires:
Fronts - 25-10.50 LLx15 Golf
Rears - 41 LLx18-16.1 Golf

I was reading my 300Cx loader manual and these tires did not make the list for recommended/approved tires. My original tires did make the list.

So am I gonna have to change my tires back to the other R3s whenever I put on the loader or can I get away with it for light loader work (Mulch, Landscaping rock, ..etc)?

Regards and Thanks ahead of time!

/ Loader Rated tires? #2  
Nuru said:

I was reading my 300Cx loader manual and these tires did not make the list for recommended/approved tires. My original tires did make the list.

So am I gonna have to change my tires back to the other R3s whenever I put on the loader or can I get away with it for light loader work (Mulch, Landscaping rock, ..etc)?

What are you going to use your loader for, Nuru? If not commercial, I'd stick with the tires you have now...to me, that's a very acceptable risk.

/ Loader Rated tires? #3  
Nuru said:

I am unsure what type of tires you have. Are both sets R3/Truff tires? Or do you have a set of R4 tires and you are going to get a set of R3/turf tires?
In either case you can beef up the weight carrying capacity of your front tires by having them foam filled. I had my front R4 tires filled on my JD 4300 because I kept getting flats. I put 23 plugs in one tires before giving up and buying new tires and having them filled.
It cost about $1.25 per pound to have the tires foam filled and I think it took about 125 lbs of foam to fill both tires. After the tires are filled they are almost indestructible. The tires are a lot stiffer after they are filled and the foot print is not as big but the extra weight and the lack of flats make it worth it.
Marshall

/ Loader Rated tires? #4  
Nuru,

I think if you're sensible about how big of a bite you take with your loader, you'll get along just fine. And when you "bite off more than you can chew" don't turn sharply and roll your tires off the rims...

I also think that for everyone reading these threads about tires and rims and changing them to dimensions outside of what is available in your owner's manual -- we should entertain a discussion about gear ratios, static load radius (SLR), rear axle overrun, etc.

For those of us who would like a bit more traction, more floatation or just saving the turf from being torn up; and not end up with broken drivelines and/or messed up ring gears, pinion gears, there needs to be good information about what is an acceptable risk and what's not.

AKfish

/ Loader Rated tires?
RoyJackson said:
What are you going to use your loader for, Nuru? If not commercial, I'd stick with the tires you have now...to me, that's a very acceptable risk.

Landscaping around the house (patio building, tree/plant mounds, and other improvements) and lawn maintenance (mowing, plugging, dethatching, ...etc, mulch stones). The tires that are comming are for the lawn maintenance, as with the slopes, the current tires will probably be digging holes frequently, and have shown that tendency already.
Yep it sounds like when doing loader work, use the current set, when doing Lawn Maint - use the Golf Turfs

/ Loader Rated tires?
AKfish said:
Nuru,

I think if you're sensible about how big of a bite you take with your loader, you'll get along just fine. And when you "bite off more than you can chew" don't turn sharply and roll your tires off the rims...

I also think that for everyone reading these threads about tires and rims and changing them to dimensions outside of what is available in your owner's manual -- we should entertain a discussion about gear ratios, static load radius (SLR), rear axle overrun, etc.

For those of us who would like a bit more traction, more floatation or just saving the turf from being torn up; and not end up with broken drivelines and/or messed up ring gears, pinion gears, there needs to be good information about what is an acceptable risk and what's not.

AKfish

Akfish, yes I was thinking along those lines too. The tires are called out in the manual for commercial mowing on estates and Golf courses. They are also called out in the Parts manual for the same purpose. Since they were very cheap as a set, and i am having an issue on my slopes with digging, i figured that these wil help with the mowing end of things. I figured that you could use the loader for mulch delivery, but then again that loader is quite heave and i have been tooling around a little with it on the tractor without all the ballst on to just get a feel of how the tractor feels without the additional ballast - real bouncy on flat surfaces at low speed. So i will employ ballast when using that loader from now on.

/ Loader Rated tires?
mars1952 said:
I am unsure what type of tires you have. Are both sets R3/Truff tires? Or do you have a set of R4 tires and you are going to get a set of R3/turf tires?
In either case you can beef up the weight carrying capacity of your front tires by having them foam filled. I had my front R4 tires filled on my JD 4300 because I kept getting flats. I put 23 plugs in one tires before giving up and buying new tires and having them filled.
It cost about $1.25 per pound to have the tires foam filled and I think it took about 125 lbs of foam to fill both tires. After the tires are filled they are almost indestructible. The tires are a lot stiffer after they are filled and the foot print is not as big but the extra weight and the lack of flats make it worth it.
Marshall

Marshall, both are R3s, but the new set has "GOLF" on them as a designation. They are designed for flotation on grass. Loading the fronts on this might be an option. Yes, i do hear that foaming is a good way to go if you are goin to load the tinres. On my previous tractor I got them loaded with used anti-freeze, and obviously with that you maintain the leak caution.

The two sets of tires are:
Current tires
41 x 14-20 R3
27x 8.50-15

Coming tire set
41 LLx18-16.1 Golf
25-10.50 LLx15 Golf

Which brings up an interesting question. Seems that since both rears are the 41 in size, couldn't I run with the 25-10.50 LLx15 Golfs on the front, fill them and then only switch the rears for the snow plowing in the winter?:confused:

/ Loader Rated tires?
I called the Tire Maker Galaxy Tire, and they provided the following info:

Front tires are rated at carrying capacity of 1000 pounds each. So if i am careful, I should be okay with the loader - no huge stones for me!

Rear tires are rated at a carrying capacity of 3730 pounds each. So apparently i should not have anything to worry about as long as I keep the tires properly inflated at a working 10 pounds. Man these things are big!

Do not fill tires so weights on rear are the way to go or use the other tires with foam or used anti-freeze.

/ Loader Rated tires?
I just checked the Titan website and the Fronts that came with the tractor are rated for 1250 pounds, and the rears are reated at 3080 pounds. So the best combo for loading is the Golf Turf rears and the R3 turfs Fronts. So if I have to do ant heavy worky. I must consider switching back to the R3 fronts. Another difference is that the Titan tires are 4 ply vs 6 ply on the Galaxy tires.

/ Loader Rated tires? #10  
Do you have those new tires/rims on the tractor yet? How about some pics?

Just got my new R1's. They're sittin' in the garage. I'm still running my chains as we've still got plenty of snow and ice to work with, yet!

Hope to get the new rim/tire combo mounted in the next several weeks.

AKfish