50 hr service questions

/ 50 hr service questions #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I recently purchased the items to complete my first service (50hrs). I changed the engine oil, fuel filter, air filter and I was about to change the hydralic oil when I decided to check the manual. I found that the book says remove the drain plug an suction filter assemble and replace filter. Then I looked at the material left and low and behold no filter. I called the local dealer and was told I just needed to remove the filter and clean it since it's a mesh screen. I replied that I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same filter and the books says there's another inline filter. And that you remove and clean it. The dealer assured me that the suction filter assemble was the same and he could order me the filter if I insisted but it was around 75 bucks.
I called another dealer and was told the same thing. I should mention this a 3320 hydro. Is the info I was given on the level? I don't want to drain the tank to find I need this filter (that no one stocks). Thanks in advance

Matt T.:D

/ 50 hr service questions #2  
I have a 3320 as well but don't have my manual handy. As I remember though, there are two different filters. One on the left side of the engine block that is a screen type that needs to be cleaned. Under the tractor is a larger canister that can be unscrewed and contains a filter that should be changed. Sorry, doing this from memory. But I think it is all in the manual. And you're right, the suction filter is $75 or so..

HTH,
Mike

/ 50 hr service questions #3  
I dont recall the manual for my 3520 stating that I should change the fuel/air filters at 50 hrs. I will have to go look it up again. I just change the engine oil/filter, cleaned the air filter(I do this often) and a few other things.

/ 50 hr service questions #4  
GreatWhitehunter said:
I recently purchased the items to complete my first service (50hrs). I changed the engine oil, fuel filter, air filter and I was about to change the hydralic oil when I decided to check the manual. I found that the book says remove the drain plug an suction filter assemble and replace filter. Then I looked at the material left and low and behold no filter. I called the local dealer and was told I just needed to remove the filter and clean it since it's a mesh screen. I replied that I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same filter and the books says there's another inline filter. And that you remove and clean it. The dealer assured me that the suction filter assemble was the same and he could order me the filter if I insisted but it was around 75 bucks.
I called another dealer and was told the same thing. I should mention this a 3320 hydro. Is the info I was given on the level? I don't want to drain the tank to find I need this filter (that no one stocks). Thanks in advance

For a report on changing the 3320 hydraulic fluid take a look at:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/jd-owning-operating/82563-report-3320-hydraulic-fluid-filter.html
I did put in a new sump filter.

/ 50 hr service questions
Was the sump filter a mesh type? If it is then I'll likely clean it. If not I will get the replacement. I don't want to risk my investment so I really appreciate the responses.

/ 50 hr service questions #6  
GreatWhitehunter said:
Was the sump filter a mesh type? If it is then I'll likely clean it. If not I will get the replacement. I don't want to risk my investment so I really appreciate the responses.

It is a mesh type filter, may take some care to clean it. If you do replace it, the new filter and the fluid will be good for 400 hours. So I paid the $80 or so and won't worry about it again for a long time.

/ 50 hr service questions #7  
GreatWhiteHunter, I checked my Owner's Manual for my non-cab 3720 and it does not require hydraulic oil change (or hydraulic oil filter) until 400 hours. The in-line filter service is called out at 1200 hours (seems long to me). The air filter service at 50 hours is for the cab filters. More frequent oil/filter changes certainly won't hurt, but can get expensive.

Dave