Oil & Fuel "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel

/ "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel #1  

jmt1271

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Thinking of selling my Woods RM550 RFM and getting a used riding mower. I liked mowing the yard better with my rider than I do with the 3520.

I dont know much about the older JD garden tractors and am wanting opinions on good used diesel models in the $3-4k range.

/ "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel #2  
jmt1271 said:
Thinking of selling my Woods RM550 RFM and getting a used riding mower. I liked mowing the yard better with my rider than I do with the 3520.

I don't know much about the older JD garden tractors and am wanting opinions on good used diesel models in the $3-4k range.

Just curious...do you think the 3520 with RFM is too big or cumbersome for mowing?

/ "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel
My soil seems to be compacting from the tractor. It mows great, but I would prefer mowing with a GT. Just so easy. In doing a little research, I may go with an old gas burner. Seen several late 70s early 80s JDs for under a grand. Any suggestions or leads?

/ "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel #4  
IMHO, two of the best diesel garden tractors JD ever made were the 332 and the 430. Here is a link you may find helpful.

Weekend Freedom Machines

/ "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel #5  
Yes, that is definitely THE place to learn about Deere L&G tractors(including these diesels). The 16hp 332 and 20hp 430 are both excellent mowing tractors made in the 80's/early 90's. Good ones should be around in your price range. They both have hand controlled hydro. I'm more used to foot controlled hydro and so found a 2001 455 diesel for $3450. It was owned by a hospital and has 650hrs. It's pretty beat up cosmetically but runs and operates well. Really nice 455's are going for $4-6k. The newer Xseries diesels are going $6k and up. If you'd go for a gasser and a 50" deck is big enough the 318 (same as 332 w/18hp 2cyl gas) is considered one of the best L&G tractors ever. I think nice ones are going for around $2500. Happy hunting.

/ "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel #6  
I would look into the 430 as mentioned before, those were real workhorses. Also consider an older JD front mount mower (JD 935 and a few others were diesel). I have a JD 910 (gas) with 3500+ hours on it (I'm the 3rd owner and rebuilt the engine 2X) and it cut fine back in its day, but the JD "Z"'s run circles around it in so many ways. But if the GC is what your after a 332, I think was a diesel, is another thought.

After spending some time on WFM, I am kind of interested in even older gas burning machines. The restored ones are priced much cheaper than I thought they would be. I mow around 1.25 acres now. Of the 70s and 80s models which ones would be well suited for this task. Across the front of my property I have a pretty steep slope. It is only about 50 ft across the steep part now(thanks to my 3520 and boxblade). Are these older Deeres heavy enough to handle a fairly steep slope?(I am not good at estimating degree of slope, but it seems to be right about where my "pucker factor" gets alarmed)

When did JD start using hydrostats. I think I would like an early hydrostat mower if you guys could recommend some of the better models to me. I found a guy not too far away who has a restored 110(not hydro) for not much more than I could get for my Woods RM550. This may be too small, but hopefully you guys can point out some that would fit the bill in the $1k to $1.5k range. I think it would be neat to mow with a classic JD. Any opinions on this?

/ "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel #8  
Hands down the 332 was a sweet machine. Second choice would be a 322 gas. One problem would be that a lot of the 332's were used by lawn services and drove hard. If you look hard though you can still find a good one out there.

Just listed the Woods RFM on Ebay. There are a couple of older JD gas burners around that I know of. I am going to check them out and start really looking for some of the models you guys have mentioned. I think I will go with a gasser to keep costs down, unless I run up on a real good deal. Let me know if any of you know of one I should look at. I am in west TN. Thanks for the help guys.

/ "Best" older Deere garden tractor w/ diesel #10  
I have a JD 110 and 214 both from the 70's. They are good machines but at their age they need constant work, I guess things are just getting worn aren't we all.:D

I quit using the 110 for mowing as it was just too slow with the smaller deck. The 214 worked better with the larger deck but still had to get a Swisher tow behind mower to get all the mowing done in a day.

Another problem with these older machines is that all parts are not available any more. There are a few things I would like to fix but can't get the parts anymore. Keep a set of belts on hand, I usally end up replacing 1 or 2 belts per season.

Good luck.