Mowing Rear deck mower

/ Rear deck mower #1  

TxBillyed

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere-4100
First thanks to all those who responded to my first ad. Im going to keep the rear deck mower at least for now. I mowed around a litte, and it worked o.k., but I can't get it lever It keeps digging in leaving ruts. No problem I played in west pasture which a empty. I bought this 4100 as a new repo. got a heck of a deal, but I don't have the owners manuals yet. Im sure once I do the adjustments it will work o.k. Sure beats my old little yard mower.

/ Rear deck mower #2  
What is causing the ruts? It may be the ground contact wheels make sure they are well greased. You may also need to raise the mower wheels. I have a Woods RD 6000 and I mow 3 acres it works well just take your time and get use to how the turns work. Congrats on your new tractor have fun and be safe.
Crown

/ Rear deck mower #3  
TxBillyed,

Another thing to watch is your rocker shaft control. Are you lowering your 3pt hitch all the way down? That could be the root of your problem. On the 4100, you will notice a limiter knob on the rocker shaft selector. This controls the depth/height of the 3pt hitch. What you may want to do is to get the tractor and rear finish mower on some level ground and select a proper height so that you're not forcing the wheels into the ground.

Additionally, get on your dealer to get you the manuals. They are very important to have as you already know. I'm surprised that he didn't get some for you to have when it was delivered. Bad dealer ... bad dealer!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Terry

/ Rear deck mower #4  
You should be able to get a near-perfect level mowing result with that mower, if set up properly. You should be able to lower your 3-pt lower link control all the way and rely on your mower to float. If you have 4 wheels on the mower they should all be set to the height you want. If just 2 rear wheels, the front should float on 2 chains linked to a point on the tractor near where the 3-pt top-link attaches. If no chains, add them. Also, all this depends on a top link mechanism that is flexible. Either the mower top must pivot, or you can use a chain assemply/kit to replace your top adjustible link.

/ Rear deck mower
Thanks Terry,

This was a repo and the dealer didn't have the manuals that is why Im in the dark right now. Should have the manual in a week to 10 days from JD. Been having bad weather down here lately so I am just letting the tractor sit for now, just cleaning it up and getting the mice nests out of a lot of places.
Thanks for you input.
Bill

/ Rear deck mower #6  
Must be from Texas... I have not seen any grass for a few months...

/ Rear deck mower
You Bet, hell our grass is so short, Im cutting rocks. LOL