1010 / 1020 Differences

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #1  

gearhead1

Tractor
Kubota B6000
I tried to google it but couldn't find what I was looking for and tractordata.com is down. Someone probably knows this right off the top of their head.

Can anyone tell me the major differences between the 1010 and 1020? I have a chance to get a 1010, so I went to koyker's website to see if they made a loader for it. They don't list a 1010, but they do list a 1020, so I was wondering if the 1010 and 1020 share the same chassis? Do you think the loaders they list for the 1020 would work on the 1010?

Thanks!

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #2  
Some time back I was lookin' at a 1010 diesel that a friend had sittin' in his yard (still there) for more than 5 years. Thought it would be a fun job gettin' it goin' again!

Anyway, I asked one of the "long-in-the-tooth" mechanics at my local JD dealer about 1010's. He recommended to stay away from 'em. He said that there was a design fault in the gasket/seating configuration between the head and the block.

It's been a couple of year's since I asked him about that tractor but the long and short of this -- do a little research and check with an "old hand" JD mechanic for their perspective.

AKfish

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #3  
THe mechanic was right, stay away from the 1010 diesel or gas too for that matter. Those engines used a sleeve deck design that did not work very well. The 1020 is a totally different animal, a very good utility tractor!

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #4  
In answer to your question, no the same loaders will not work. In my opinion, there was no real problem with the 1010 gas, but the diesel engine was a little cantankerous to make it run right. If everything is 100% right, even the diesel was a sweet running engine.I never saw any problem with the sleeve deck arrangement other than it was impossible to replace one cylinder liner if you had a failure in one cylinder. The main problem with the 1010 is alot of the parts are hard to find now. The 1020 was the same chassis as 1520, 1530, 2040, 2150, 2155. Parts and accessories will be alot more plentiful for them.

Last edited:
   / 1010 / 1020 Differences
Thanks guys! This is exactly what I needed!

I had heard about the engine design with the cylinders all mounted to a plate, so when one went bad, you had to replace them all, but I didn't know which models had that problem. This one is a gas engine - I don't know if it has the same cylinder sleeve issue but since the loader is different, then there's no point in me even getting it for what I want to do with it.

Thanks!

Mike

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #6  
The John Deere 1010 and 2010 tractors were 4-cylinder models that were introduced in 1961. Both tractors seem to be held at arms-length by many a gentleman with green blood...that speaks volumes for me. My uncle had two 2010 tractors on his farm and I always thought that they resembled a sway-backed mule and were one of Deere's worst tractors of all time.

The 1020 was a three-cylinder utility tractor introduced in 1965. It is a completely different tractor, just like jd110 said. The 1020 and the 2020 (the four-cylinder version of the 1020) were low-profile tractors designed to mimmick the features of the extremely successful Ford and Oliver utility tractors. These newer Deere utility tractors were good machines. A friend of the family had a 2020 which he ran daily as his farm's chore tractor for nearly 40 years. He replaced the 2020 with its great-grandson, the 2355.

On to the loader issue: a geniune, John Deere model 48 loader was a popular loader for a 1020 or a 2020. Listings for used 48 loaders are not uncommon.

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #7  
I have a 1020 jd that i really like as a tractor, but I'm gettin water in the oil. I spent about 1200 on the top end last year (and did the work myself) so I am confident in the work and the machine work. I didn't want to spend the time and money to replace the sleaves and bearings, but hindsite's 2020. Most folks with any sense would advise an overhaul kit and be done with it. With that out of the way, I have several other diesels and would prefer this to be the same so does anyone know what other applications use a jd motor that will fit?? I'm talking about the frame of the engine mostly, or how do i find specs on it for a retro?? (IE flywheel, bellhousing, bolt patterns) I know this is wrong so don't bother to comment, but I currently use it about once every 2 weeks to mow, so I just drain the water of the bottom and rip it up, so it would be nice if I didn't have to tear it down to find the specs

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #8  
A diesel out of a 1020, 1520, or 1530 will definitely fit. I am thinking a 2040, 2150, or 2155 will fit also. I am sure it will bolt together, but swapping water pumps and maybe eliminating oil cooler might be needed to work. Probably a 5200 or 5300 would work also, but swapping bell housings would be needed.

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #9  
I have a 1020 jd that i really like as a tractor, but I'm gettin water in the oil. I spent about 1200 on the top end last year (and did the work myself) so I am confident in the work and the machine work. I didn't want to spend the time and money to replace the sleaves and bearings, but hindsite's 2020. Most folks with any sense would advise an overhaul kit and be done with it. With that out of the way, I have several other diesels and would prefer this to be the same so does anyone know what other applications use a jd motor that will fit?? I'm talking about the frame of the engine mostly, or how do i find specs on it for a retro?? (IE flywheel, bellhousing, bolt patterns) I know this is wrong so don't bother to comment, but I currently use it about once every 2 weeks to mow, so I just drain the water of the bottom and rip it up, so it would be nice if I didn't have to tear it down to find the specs

I would think it might be easier to rebuild the current engine with new liner/piston sets than swapping the entire engine out. The last time I did this was many years ago and I replaced the liners and pistons on my Deere 450 dozer. With limited tools and help the whole thing took less than two days, it should be much easier on a tractor though.

I have an 820 currently and if it were needed I would rebuild it myself.

/ 1010 / 1020 Differences #10  
i know this is an old post but did the 2010 have wet steering clutches..i know i got a 1010 and it will start and run all day long but to get it to steer or keep the tracks on is a different problem...the tracks are worn out so i understand that ..but i've replaced seal upon seal and you have to take the whole side off to do that ..and the stealing clutches are always soaked ..bought new clutches too..i'm just wondering if they have the same clutches as say a 350 b...now that was a good dozer