Transmission Fluid Level - 4320 PowrReverser

/ Transmission Fluid Level - 4320 PowrReverser #1  

boatermark

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
This weekend I checked all the fluid levels on my new 4320 PowrReverser and found the transmission fluid level was low in the "Add" zone on the dip stick. So, the question is, how much fluid needs to be added to bring the fluid up to the proper level? I just don't understand if it is on the order of a quart, half-gallon, or couple of gallons. Any ideas?

/ Transmission Fluid Level - 4320 PowrReverser #2  
Per the 4320 manual:

Transmission and Hydraulic System (PowrReverser Models) 38.9 L (10.3 gal.)

Also:

Checking Transmission Oil Level
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Allow oil one hour to settle before checking level to ensure accurate dipstick reading. Repeat oil level check after several hours of operation.
1. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the SAFETY section.) Allow machine to cool down for at least one hour.
2. Remove dipstick (A) located behind operator's seat. Wipe dipstick with a clean rag.
3. Install dipstick.
4. Remove dipstick and check oil level. Oil level should be between the minimum (B) and maximum (C) lines.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Help prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering the transmission. Clean area around fill cap before removing.
Do not overfill transmission. Oil expands during operation and could overflow.
5. If oil level is low:
· Remove oil fill cap (D). Add recommended oil at fill cap location.
6. Install and tighten fill cap.

The manual doesn't specify the fill between maximum and add, but I'd try ½ a quart initially. Let it set for a few minutes to drain down then see how the level moved on the dipstick. That should give you a good idea on how much you'd need to add.
It doesn't have to go to the Maximum line...just keep the level between those Max and Add lines.

Personally, I keep the level a bit low (but between the lines.

/ Transmission Fluid Level - 4320 PowrReverser
Roy, thanks for the input. I did read all of that in the manual and seeing that the total capacity was over 10 gallons, I just had no idea how much add was. Heck, for a regular vehicle that holds 5 quarts of motor oil, a level in the add area generaly means add a quart, so that's 20%. For 10 gallons of hydraulic fluid, 20% is 2 gallons.

I need to stop by the shop to buy the fluid, so I was hoping to get an idea on order of magnitude so I know how much to get.

/ Transmission Fluid Level - 4320 PowrReverser #4  
my 4700 was at add the other day..

It took one gallon to bring it to the top of the hatched zone.

26m10 said:
my 4700 was at add the other day..

It took one gallon to bring it to the top of the hatched zone.

Hmmmm, that's something like I was expecting I think. I wish the manual at least gave a better idea. Also, on the caution warning regarding overfilling which may result in overflow, what does that mean? Will the fluid overflow through a vent or something onto the ground? Is that the only danger?

So no response on what happens if the transmission/hydraulic system is overfilled...???

/ Transmission Fluid Level - 4320 PowrReverser #7  
I'm going to take a semi-educated guess...

Since the manual states:
"Do not overfill transmission. Oil expands during operation and could overflow."

I would say the extra fluid would dump out of the hydraulic system's vent tube.
A concern I would have (based upon experience with engines) is a lack of lubrication due to foaming of the oil (engine oil in this case). Hydraulic fluid may not foam like engine oil can...

If you want a more educated answer, ask your dealer's service dept.

RoyJackson said:
I'm going to take a semi-educated guess...I would say the extra fluid would dump out of the hydraulic system's vent tube.

Roy, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if there was a vent and where it would be.

So far, I filled up the transmission with 1/2 gallon of hyrdaulic fluid. It brought the level up from low in the add section, to just above the low acceptable range line. I suspect another quart may bring it up to the middle of the two acceptable range lines.

I ran the tractor for about 1/2 hour last night leveling snow banks to promote melt. I'll check the fluid level again now to see if it has changed any.