Help with power beyond and log splitter

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter #1  

mlip

Tractor
JD4300
Folks,

I'm looking for some guidance on hooking up a 3PH log splitter to my JD4300. The previous owner had a back hoe and I believe had the power beyond kit installed. I've attached a photo of the back end of the tractor.

My log splitter mounts to the 3 point hitch and has two hydo lines, one supply, one return. Where should I hook the log splitter lines to? I've labeled the tractor hydraulics as A, B and C.

Thanks.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 943
   / Help with power beyond and log splitter #2  
Hi--I believe that you should connect to A & B as C is used when the BH is on (disables the 3PH). If you connect to A & B then you can use the 3PH to raise the splitter to a comfortable working height.

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter #3  
B8FISH said:
Hi--I believe that you should connect to A & B as C is used when the BH is on (disables the 3PH). If you connect to A & B then you can use the 3PH to raise the splitter to a comfortable working height.

Right On

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter #4  
B8FISH is absolutely correct, happy splitting:D

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter #5  
They are correct, but you should make sure you connect the hoses correctly. In other words.. make sure the flow is going the correct direction from the tractor to the splitter and then back to the tractor. You will need to have hydraulic hoses made. You can get the correct ends for the hoses from your JD dealer and then have them attached to hoses from someone who makes hydraulic hoses... you also need to make sure you know what size the fittings are for attaching the other end of each hose to your splitter.

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter #6  
Having the same setup on my 3120, I'm curious about the direction of flow and how you detemine which direction other than trial and error. Would it be out A and in B, or are there markings at the fittings that I haven't seen?

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter
Hankus....I'd like to know that too. Anyway, thanks for the info, my splitter has 3/8" hydo lines installed, I just need the quick disconnect couplers, I'll be making a visit to a local shop to get those. Once I figure out which is supply and which is return, I'll be set to split. Its a good thing, this winter just doesnt want to give up here in New England. I'm down to my last weeks worth of wood, went through nearly 5 cord this winter!

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter #8  
hankus said:
Having the same setup on my 3120, I'm curious about the direction of flow and how you detemine which direction other than trial and error. Would it be out A and in B, or are there markings at the fittings that I haven't seen?

OK guys, this is simple...
The fluid flows OUT of "B", the fixed hose. And can flow IN to either port "A" or "C". But as B8FISH already said, Plugging into the "C" port will disable the 3PH, while the "A" port will not.

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter #9  
mlip said:
Hankus....I'd like to know that too. Anyway, thanks for the info, my splitter has 3/8" hydo lines installed, I just need the quick disconnect couplers, I'll be making a visit to a local shop to get those. Once I figure out which is supply and which is return, I'll be set to split. Its a good thing, this winter just doesnt want to give up here in New England. I'm down to my last weeks worth of wood, went through nearly 5 cord this winter!

As for the 3/8 hose, you just want to make sure that the hose is at least the same size as the "loop" you are connecting to. You do not want to restrict the flow of oil through the splitter or overheating can occur.

/ Help with power beyond and log splitter
Kennyd....thanks, sounds easy enough. I will verify the hose diameters for possible restriction issues......BTW, I only got to use my plow set up once this winter. It worked great, but we didnt get much snow....at least when I was home......Mark