JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers?

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #41  
Well..my spacers have been shipped...in that the bolts are not easy to check once the spacers are installed I'm thinking of using loctite when I torque the bolts to spec....thinking that even loctite red's bond can be broken with heat...can anyone think of a downside to this plan? Obviously I wouldn't loctite the wheel bolts (at least not with loctite red)

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #42  
Well..my spacers have been shipped...in that the bolts are not easy to check once the spacers are installed I'm thinking of using loctite when I torque the bolts to spec....thinking that even loctite red's bond can be broken with heat...can anyone think of a downside to this plan? Obviously I wouldn't loctite the wheel bolts (at least not with loctite red)

Personally, I think loctite is a good idea. I'd also torque stripe the bolt heads (use a paint marker).

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #43  
Thanks....I've already torque striped the bolts on the wheels, etc etc (didn't know that what its called...and agree its a good idea.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers?
I used the blue loctite when I torqued my spacers. Haven't had any loosen in over a year of use. Agree striping is a good idea but I didn't do it.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #45  
Yup, I used a generous application of BLUE also, on every fastener, then torqued them about 5% higher than the manual called for. Have not had any problems, over a year, much heavy work accomplished since then.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #46  
Like the idea of the spacers. Question though. I have a 375 backhoe on my 3720 and am wondering if spacing the rear wheels out will increase the forces around the tranny/axle housing in the rear and cause bigger problems or even breakage.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #47  
Like the idea of the spacers. Question though. I have a 375 backhoe on my 3720 and am wondering if spacing the rear wheels out will increase the forces around the tranny/axle housing in the rear and cause bigger problems or even breakage.

That would be a possibility. The longer the axle, the more flex it'll have..and flexing metal is fatiguing metal.
Now, if you only install the backhoe when needed, I doubt you'd see too much increased wear and tear.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #48  
Are you worried about the backhoe involvement with wheel spacers causing damage due to the weight it adds to the back? Or because of the forces when digging? Or interference with the tires? Or something else?
My 375 backhoe has been on my 3720 all summer working its butt off on many many projects. I am looking forward to finally getting the backhoe off and doing some other work. Mine has 4 inches of spacers per side. I don't feel the weight of carrying around the backhoe, nor when digging with it, is as significant as the forces when digging with the boxblade scarifiers in old crushed rock driveway.
My opinion.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #49  
The 4" spacers arrived today....hopefully can find some time tomorrow to install them....I'm assuming the installation is obvious.if not I'm sure someone will set me straight..it appears as though the original lug nuts fasten the first spacer to the tractor, then one bolts the second spacer to the first and then one uses the supplied nuts to fasten the tires to the protruding bolts of the 2nd spacer.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #50  
The 4" spacers arrived today....hopefully can find some time tomorrow to install them....I'm assuming the installation is obvious.if not I'm sure someone will set me straight..it appears as though the original lug nuts fasten the first spacer to the tractor, then one bolts the second spacer to the first and then one uses the supplied nuts to fasten the tires to the protruding bolts of the 2nd spacer.

They should work well. A concern I had but others may not have on this forum, is that the original bolts when putting the first set of rings on don't go all the way through the hubs like I would expect. The original position is that the bolt thread takes up the whole thread in the hub, but the spacer is thicker than the original wheels. So I went to Napa and got some metric lug-bolts that are long enough to go through the hubs. I just didn't feel comfortable with only 3/4 of the thread in the hub. For whatever it's worth. Then I blue lock-tited everything up and has been good for a year with a lot of excavating with a 1500# block on the back.
Once it's on there is no way to check it anymore with a torque wrench but I take a visual on it quite often/