Backhoe Foiled again - any new info on 2520 backhoe plus ind lift issue?

/ Foiled again - any new info on 2520 backhoe plus ind lift issue? #1  

jdbower

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
The warm spring air encouraged me to go out and play with my 2520. I've moved most of my toys a little further away from the house and I was about to mount up my trusty but seldom used 46 backhoe so it didn't get lonely. The 3PH removal went surprisingly well and I figured that mounting this beast wasn't nearly as bad as I thought - my chipper may be more effort. I failed to note a critical incompatibility that occurred when I had the dealer install the independent lift for my 62D mower. Doing a quick forum search it seems that this is a known issue and the workaround is to remove the independent lift before mounting or get a Woods backhoe. Any information out there about an updated independent lift kit for the 2520/62D that may not conflict with the backhoe subframe? Looking at the lift kit it seems like a chore to remove, any hints as to the quickest way to remove as little as possible would be great.

/ Foiled again - any new info on 2520 backhoe plus ind lift issue? #2  
You will need to remove the hydraulic cylinder for the independent lift as well as all the "bronze" linkage hardware between the hydraulic lift and the black lift arms that hold the mower deck.

Throw away the cotter pins and get yourself something that you don't have to bend/unbend to secure the pins in place. That will make life easier.

When I first got my 2520, the u-shaped bronze bracket that mounts under the rear axle and lowers the rear of the mower deck was a bit undersized. I took it off with a little persuading but was unable to re-attach. My JD dealer performed some grinding artistry to taper the sides of the u-shaped bracket so that it now wedges on nicely and stays in place on its own while I fiddle with putting the four bolts back in place.

It is just enough work that I think twice about swapping BH and mower. I try to hold all of my BH jobs until they can be done at once. I wondered if I shouldn't have moved up to 3000 series with 3pt mount BH, but I just read a post here that didn't sound like it was much easier. And I definitely don't need the extra weight or expense of 3000 series tractor!