JD 650 transmission woes?????

/ JD 650 transmission woes????? #1  

kmosabe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1300 Original/beautiful
All, new to posting in the JD site, own a JD 650 Yanmar, prior to this, I owned a Yanmar 1300, Although, parts getting harder, still love the tractor. 4WD with loader. Hate to trade it in but would like for 5th gear to work. When in 5th, if gear shift held, will proceed but does not like it, however does not grind. I took off the gear shift panel, shifter ok, however replaced nylon ball which was slightly worn. Transmission has been worked on before because I can see the red gasket sealer squeezed out. From all appearances, tractor seems to have been repaired by someone who knew what to do. The guide plate the shifter goes through was not stock and was professionally made. It had a little wear so I bought a stock JD part, it was no different. From what I can see, all gears look good but I cannot all the shift forks which I think might be the problem. I changed the transmission fluid and although milky (bad shift boot, sat outside a long time) there were no metal shavings. If it is a shift fork or rail, will this mean splitting the tractor, should i now say I have a 6 speed tractor, forget about 5th and 7th gear(high range)

/ JD 650 transmission woes?????
How easy is it to split this tractor and diagnose the problem? Is there anyway to see the shift forks without splitting apart. Housing interferes with part of transmission. Anyone out there with a 650 technical manual on transmission that would be able send me some info on it?

/ JD 650 transmission woes????? #3  
i have a 950 manual(s) if that would help. it has an 8x2 transmission. i dont know if the 950 and 650 use the same transmission or not, but id be glad to help you if i can.