2520 First Service & Questions

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #1  

larry8818

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
Hello Everyone,

This weekend marked my 48th hour on my 2520 and I decided to pull some maintenance. I did the following:

1. Replaced Engine Oil & Oil Filter
2. Replaced Fuel Filter & cleaned sediment bowl. If you follow the manual, add a step between steps 2 & 3. Remove sediment drain plug before you remove the sediment bowl. Fuel won't spill all over the place that way. Maybe JD figures for common sense on this one.
3. Replaced Primary Air Filter.
4. Replaced Transmission Oil & Oil Filter. This is where I was a little confused. On page 48 & 49 of my 2520 Operators Manual the pictures do not look like my 2520. The book shows 2 drain plugs?? My tractor only had one. For the filter, the book shows a filter on the inside of the transmission housing. My tractor has an outside spin on "oil filter" style. I went to JD Parts.com and notice by searching the schematics that there also seems to be an internal strainer surrounded by magnets to attact metal particles. I was wondering if the two pages from the book are for a 2320?? Also I did not remove the internal screen because I did the service yesterday and did not have the schematic at the time. Also on page 49 it says that the transmission takes approximately 10L or 2.6Gal. of fluid. It also states on page 65 under machine specs that these are the amounts that the Transmission & Hydraulic System have for capacities. Well I will tell you that these are wrong. My machine took 3 gallons of Hy-Guard. I went to John Deere.com and went to the specs of the 2520 online. Online spec states 3.9 gallons. After reading further on the specs in the book, the Rated Engine Speed is 3000RPM and the Rear Tire Size is 31". I think John Deere made a boo-boo and inadvertently put the specs for the 2320 in the 2520 book on pages 64 & 65. Any of you other 2520 owners care to check out your books and see for yourselves?

For anyone interested how much it would cost to do this service:
1. $6.50 M806419 Oil Filter
2. $10.50 M811031 Fuel Filter
3. $16.99 RG60690 Primary Air Filter
4. $29.25 LVU800097 Transmission Filter
5. $59.80 TY22000 JD Low-Visc. Hy-Guard ($14.95/gal.)
6. $9.75 TY6389 JD Plus50 SAE 15W40 ($3.25/qt.)

Total Cost of service $132.79

I'd love to hear other 2520 owners comments on any maintenance you've done and any problems you've encountered.

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #2  
I am glad to hear these numbers. i was wondering what it would cost. fortunatly. the dealer gave me a filter pak kit when i bought the tractor:) . so the first service wont be so bad. I will take a look at the manual.....;)

Chris

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #3  
Is the real JD oils the way to go? I'm just not used to looking for industrial oils and greases after so many years of cars.

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #4  
The 2520 does have an internal strainer at the back of tractor located just below the hydraulic oil level sight gauge. The magnets are inside the strainer.

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #5  
The only thing I did different on my first service was to clean the strainer, It really needed it. Also I bought the 5 gallon pail of hydro fluid and a pump. JC

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #6  
I just changed the transmission fluid in my 2520 and the owner manual says it holds 3.9 gallons of fluid and thus far I've put in 5 gallons. I still don't see anything in the fluid level window. HOW MUCH DOES THIS THING HOLD???

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #7  
My sight glass didn't show any fluid either - even after I over filled it.

Spin the PTO's and move the tractor around abit and you'll see. I just changed my fluid and put in just barely under 4 gal and have a "full" sight glass.

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #8  
I ran the front loader through it's paces and drove the tractor around and that didn't make a difference in the sight gage. I'll give the PTO a try and see what happens. The fluid that was in there looked like normal transmission fluid (red). The stuff I put in looks almost like oil. If I did in fact over fill it by a gallon is that going to cause a problem???

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #9  
My 2520 takes a little over 4 gallons. As suggested, drive it, operate the loader (all functions) and run the pto's. Park it on a level spot, drop the loader and shut the machine off. Oil will show in the sight glass. At 5 gallons, if you work it hard and get everything hot you will probably push some oil out of the top of the axle. Must be a vent, but I never found it.

/ 2520 First Service & Questions #10  
Yseesee,

My manual said nothing about draining the final drives at the rear wheels and I didn't figure it out myself until AFTER I had already added the new hydro oil. Therefore, mine didn't take the 3.9 gallons of oil either.

So, if you didn't drain each of the final drives, that may be the reason for the machine not taking the full amount of hydro oil.