john deere L plow

/ john deere L plow #1  

tglass

Platinum Member
Tractor
3320 w/cab
Anyone know where I can get information on how to install the plow on a john deere L. I recently purchased a JD 647 single bottom plow that is suppose to fit it, but it does not seem to have all the attachments (linkage). Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

/ john deere L plow #2  
Years ago had one for my LA. Do recall it had a beam that went up to a bracket that dropped down off the frame on the right side, just under the engine mount. Then had a lever to lift plow.
Here is a pic of a 1/16 model LA with plow that I found. Do you have a pic of your plow and parts that you have.

Attachments

• JDM216.jpg
    JDM216.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,070
   / john deere L plow #3  
There are two rather substantial L shaped brackets that bolt with two bolts each that bolt to flanges behind the axle on the underside of each tube of the frame. This will place the large hole on the L brackets near the ground. You will have to remove the drawbar assembly. Next you have to get the front of the plow with the draft adjusting lever worked under the tractor from behins, and get the lever worked up between the frame tube and the driveshaft cover. Then slip the large round shaft through the large holes in the L shaped brackets and put the locking collars in place to prevent the shaft from coming out. The lift arm will slip over the right rear of the tube frame. A chain will attach from the lift arm to the plow beam.

/ john deere L plow #4  
DennisMI
The axle you mention is the front axle, right?

/ john deere L plow #5  
DennisMI
The axle you mention is the front axle, right?

Yes, it's the front axle. There are tabs on the underside of each frame tube with two holes in them that align with the small holes on the L shaped brackets. I forgot to add, the brackets extend down toward the back rather than the front. I haven't put one of these on since 1969.

/ john deere L plow #6  
DennisMI
That is about the same time I had an LA and had the plow on it. Used the LA mostly for plowing snow the winters of 69 and 70. Sold it in 71 and wish I hadn't.
Getting it cranked to start was real exciting, especially when it backfired and spun the crank around back at ya. :D