Default John Deere Van Brunt Grain Drill Operator's Manual

I have a few acres that I work for food plots and to keep in to farming. I just brought home a John Deere Van Brunt grain drill after doing some work for a friend. He did not have a manual with it. Does anyone know where I could get one?

Administrator
    Tractor
    None currently

Default Re: Tom Tractor

I've seen a few on eBay... here's one:

John Deere Van Brunt B Grain Drill Operator's Manual JD - eBay (item 160421418917 end time May-07-10 05:32:21 PDT)

Also, I have moved this post to the John Deere antique tractors forum.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

I just purchased a JD Van Brunt drill, model FB177A. the guy dropped it off while I wasn't at home so I couldn't ask him how it works. I was looking it over, and pulled the trip lever, and one side of the discs dropped to the ground. Now I can't figure out how to get it back UP for transport. Do I set the trip lever a certain way and then drive forward to engage the drive plate (or the plate with the notches that holds it up)?

I am no mechanical genius! I was able to download the parts manual, but can't find an operator's manual anywhere.

Hope this post is in the right place.

Lisa

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by LinWI View Post
    I just purchased a JD Van Brunt drill, model FB177A. the guy dropped it off while I wasn't at home so I couldn't ask him how it works. I was looking it over, and pulled the trip lever, and one side of the discs dropped to the ground. Now I can't figure out how to get it back UP for transport. Do I set the trip lever a certain way and then drive forward to engage the drive plate (or the plate with the notches that holds it up)?

I am no mechanical genius! I was able to download the parts manual, but can't find an operator's manual anywhere.

Hope this post is in the right place.

Lisa
    Drive forward and pull the trip lever while you're in motion. That should cycle the trip clutch and the lift mechanism on the discs (usually called openers). That's the way the trip clutch works on my IH 2-14 plow and on one of the old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drills that I bought a few years ago.

-dscf0257-small-jpg -dscf0285-small-jpg

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Quote Originally Posted by LinWI View Post
    ........ Do I set the trip lever a certain way and then drive forward to engage the drive plate (or the plate with the notches that holds it up)?
    Lisa
    You have it figured out right, if everything is in good working order.
    The trip lever should pull forward using a rope or twine from the tractor seat.

Let us know how it works for you.