rear wheels

/ rear wheels #1  

Paul Luke

Tractor
john deere 950
new owner of a JD 950 left wheel is doing all the work when i raised the outriggers and spun a wheel the other doesn't turn. First tractor but I'm sure they should spin in opposite directions .Is this true ? If so what could it be?

/ rear wheels #2  
With both wheels raised off the ground and the engine off in gear. You should be able to turn one wheel and have the other wheel turn in the opposite direction. Do you have a locking differential pedal? if so have someone engage this while you try again. If the wheel on the other side still doesn't turn I would suspect you have a bad axle.

/ rear wheels
ty steve i didn't try it in gear that was in neutral

/ rear wheels #4  
ty steve i didn't try it in gear that was in neutral

That may be OK.
Try it again with it in gear, then you should get the opposite wheel going the other way.

Well, it depends how you look at it; if you turn the left wheel "clockwise" an observer on the other side of the right side wheel will see that one as also turning "clockwise" (-:

As Steve suggested, with the diff lock ON and in neutral they should both turn "forwards" or both turn "backwards".

/ rear wheels
Went back out raised it split the breaks and tried to stop the left wheel .That slowed it down didn't stop it.shut it off and in gear the left won't budge and the right spins free. :confused:

/ rear wheels #6  
Diff lock may be actin' kinda funny ?

Gee, I'd hate to say "tear into it", but Ya might hafta.

/ rear wheels #7  
sounds like a broken axle

/ rear wheels #8  
Should be able to tell if it is a broken axle by applying the left wheel brake to the stop the left wheel while the tractor is moving. If the right wheel doesn't move the tractor, then it is not getting power.