301 john deere loader has reverser

/ 301 john deere loader has reverser #1  

simmy5823

Tractor
two farmall cubs 1947and 1974 jd 990, jd301t, massey ferguson 265 mf 1030 ,mf1020
i have been working on my 301 jd loader and the tractor is runing but the tractor will not move it has a reverser on it and i don't know or understand this feather would someone please explain this to me. i don't have a repair manual that covers this.

/ 301 john deere loader has reverser #2  
The drive train of the tractor is as follows; engine, torque converter, reverser, transmission/rear axle. The reverser has three positions; forward, neutral, reverse.

Hold the brake pedals down to prevent tractor from moving(assuming the brakes work). Put the transmission in first gear, reverser in neutral(center position), start the engine at an idle. While applying brakes, move reverser lever forward. You should feel tractor trying to go forward. Release brake pedals. Press on accelerator gently and tractor should move forward. Stop tractor. Move reverser lever to rear position. Tractor should try to go backwards, etc.
The harder you push on the accelerator the faster the tractor will go.

Use 1st gear for digging with the loader. Always come to a complete stop, before changing direction.

The reverser contains a torque converter and two hydraulic clutches, one for each direction. Rebuilding the reverser costs $2-6K, depending on how much
it was abused.

/ 301 john deere loader has reverser
301 JOHN DEERE REVERSER. I am sure the reverser on my tractor is bad. I plan to pull it apart tomorrow . It will go in reverse but not forward. I was afraid that it would be bad when I found the transmission fluid to have water in it. I changed the fluid and replaced the filter. That didn't make any difference and I didn't think it would. I found a reverser at a friend's yard I am going to use. I think the rear hydrulic pump may also be bad as the rear lifts don't work. When I got it the injector pump was in a bag (older grandson worked on it). I bought a kit and rebuilt the pump. The motor runs great. The old tractor belonged to my 97 year old neighbor and when he passed I bought it to keep it from the scrap yard. That tractor worked every day until two weeks before his death. When he got sick I guess the tractor got sick too. Anyway I am going to fix it. I think that he would like that so I will let you know how it goes. I would enjoy your input. I am looking for any information.

/ 301 john deere loader has reverser #4  
The drive train of the tractor is as follows; engine, torque converter, reverser, transmission/rear axle. The reverser contains a torque converter and two hydraulic clutches, one for each direction. Rebuilding the reverser costs $2-6K, depending on how much
it was abused.

301's had a dry traction clutch no torque converter.

/ 301 john deere loader has reverser #5  
I wanted to share a little on this topic. On several occasions with both my 301a and 401 backhoe with hydraulic reverser's, I lost forward and reverse motion. This was caused in both situations to be a roll pin that breaks or falls out. This roll pin can be found under the belly of the tractor, in the linkage for the clutch. Have a helper engage and disengage the clutch, with the tractor NOT running, and witness the action of the linkage. Its kind of sneaky but will show itself to you after a few pedal movements....

Thanks for a great forum.

dave