JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues..

/ JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues.. #1  

Scotty370

Platinum Member
Tractor
318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"
Edit: (It's an "M") I'm getting a little further along on mine, and after looking at the wiring, I had to do something! Surfed, and surfed, and finally found a place that 'fabbed' these to spec, about 15 miles from me! Quality workmanship, braided 'loom', soldered connections, a real work of art! (About a hundred bucks.)

http://www.wiringharnesses.com/catalog.pdf A husband & wife in a home 'cottage industry', and they couldn't be nicer!

Now I'm looking for paint.

Guess I'm going with the 'Classic' Green (Ty 25644) it's straight from JD.

Now my questions: I'm not a fanatic! Just want a nice looking tractor. I plan on spraying it with grease remover (Gunk?) , let sit, pressure wash, and spray can the rig with the Classic Green. The wheels and weights, I'd like to have powder coated JD Yellow. I don't think the yellow varied as much as the green in color tone. Guess what I don't know is: Can I paint the block with that same 'Bomb-Can' or will the heat burn it off? Granted the exhaust manifold, and stack need special attention. Also, should I paint before or after I put the wiring harness in? Were the wires painted? Not going crazy for detail, but as the opportunity presents, I might as well get as close to OEM as I can. Thanks! ~Scotty PS Edit: Aren't they a B1tch to get up on?

Attachments

• M-4_16_11.jpg
    M-4_16_11.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 269
  • M-4_16_11 001.jpg
    M-4_16_11 001.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 224
  • M-4_16_11 002.jpg
    M-4_16_11 002.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
   / JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues.. #2  
Stick with the Deere paint. There are no substitutes.
What is it that is so difficult to "get up on" ??

That is a cutie of a tractor. I had a 420 and there are some definite similarities.

/ JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues.. #3  
Paint first.....

....Painted wiring harnesses suck! Plus they look bad.;)

/ JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues.. #4  
Best grease remover I have found I bought at a Dollar Tree store, the product name,, Awesome,, its a buck a bottle. Regular paint should hold up on the block for years, the manifold and muffler get much hotter as you know. I would paint then rewire.

Many say the M is difficult to mount and dismount, and they use the hitch to lift themselves up to make it a bit easier. It must have been an issue even when they were new cause the next new model (40) got changed to a side mount.

/ JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues..
Best grease remover I have found I bought at a Dollar Tree store, the product name,, Awesome,, its a buck a bottle.... QUOTE]

I gotta share this with the guys: When I saw your post about using "Awesome", I said to my wife "Do we have a 'Dollar Tree' around here? Well, when asked what I wanted to buy there I said "Awesome". Well it was then she took off on a 'rant' and said: "Don't you remember the conversation that we had last week(?) when I said 'Connie' went to their place in Florida and used that stuff on everything and how great it was??, She then produced a bottle she'd bought on Connie's recommendations! Well, I do remember the conversation now, but I thought it went something like 'Blah,blah,, "Connie went to Florida, Waah, waah, waah, and cleaned everything with "Awesome.... ! But I gotta say the exchange was like an Adult speaking in a "Charlie Brown Production"! Guess my attention level changes a little when the topic goes from degreasing a John Deere to one of her friends cleaning efforts..........! Hope you folks never are as disrespectful.....:D (Sayin the 'Our Fathers, and Hail Mary's now).......:(
~Scotty 370 Gotta go 'spray this 'stuff' see ya later.......~S

/ JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues.. #6  
Best grease remover I have found I bought at a Dollar Tree store, the product name,, Awesome,, its a buck a bottle.... QUOTE]

I gotta share this with the guys: When I saw your post about using "Awesome", I said to my wife "Do we have a 'Dollar Tree' around here? Well, when asked what I wanted to buy there I said "Awesome". Well it was then she took off on a 'rant' and said: "Don't you remember the conversation that we had last week(?) when I said 'Connie' went to their place in Florida and used that stuff on everything and how great it was??, She then produced a bottle she'd bought on Connie's recommendations! Well, I do remember the conversation now, but I thought it went something like 'Blah,blah,, "Connie went to Florida, Waah, waah, waah, and cleaned everything with "Awesome.... ! But I gotta say the exchange was like an Adult speaking in a "Charlie Brown Production"! Guess my attention level changes a little when the topic goes from degreasing a John Deere to one of her friends cleaning efforts..........! Hope you folks never are as disrespectful.....:D (Sayin the 'Our Fathers, and Hail Mary's now).......:(
~Scotty 370 Gotta go 'spray this 'stuff' see ya later.......~S

So I take it this means that you now owe her a bottle.:laughing:

/ JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues.. #7  
Lol,,,, the only reason I know about the product is I work in one of their distribution centers and we use it all the time to degrease and clean the equipment,,, I used 3 bottles on my M engine after trying a spendy can of engine degreaser that didnt work,, good bang for the buck in my opinion.

/ JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues..
Lol,,,, the only reason I know about the product is I work in one of their distribution centers and we use it all the time to degrease and clean the equipment,,, I used 3 bottles on my M engine after trying a spendy can of engine degreaser that didnt work,, good bang for the buck in my opinion.

I always appreciate a good 'ambassador' for their company! Are you in the Town of NE near Ripley NY & Erie,PA, or the geographic NE of PA ?

/ JD-1947 SN 10010, The saga continues.. #9  
I'm close to their Briar Creek distribution center, been with them for just over a year.