John Deere Model #412 plow

/ John Deere Model #412 plow #1  

klink

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 660,JD 4110 Hydro - JD 670 gear - 48 Farmall Cub - 51 Farmall H - John Deere 50 - JD X540 JD X580 AC 917 WH 81 Cub Cadet 1541 & 70
I have a JD Model #412 Plow - which is a 3 pt. 2 -14" bottom plow. This plow was made for the JD Model 40 tractor with 3 pt hitch. I have a 1954 JD 50 tractor with no three point hitch. Yet!!
I'm thinking about mounting this plow on to the 1954 JD 50 with an after market 3 pt hitch. My Question is : will this 3pt. JD Model #412 plow work good on the JD 50? If not what 3 pt. JD model plow would work ? - if any? or any other brand ? this is for hobby only.
Klink

/ John Deere Model #412 plow #2  
I have a JD Model #412 Plow - which is a 3 pt. 2 -14" bottom plow. This plow was made for the JD Model 40 tractor with 3 pt hitch. I have a 1954 JD 50 tractor with no three point hitch. Yet!!
I'm thinking about mounting this plow on to the 1954 JD 50 with an after market 3 pt hitch. My Question is : will this 3pt. JD Model #412 plow work good on the JD 50? If not what 3 pt. JD model plow would work ? - if any? or any other brand ? this is for hobby only.
Klink

#412 is a standard CAT I 3-point hitch. 40's will handle the plow provided you aren't in soil that would prevent a 40 from pulling 2X14" bottoms.....

John Deere plows of that era tended to pull like a boat anchor. I had a 3X14" #412 for quite a few years. The contour of the HSS moldboards (the type found on 412's) created a lot of "drag" (relative to other brands)

ANY CAT I 3-point Deere plow will "fit", but smaller (less than 3-bottom) Deere plows are relatively scarce compared to other brands, as small frame Deere plows weren't tremendous sellers (again, relative to other brands) back in the day.

/ John Deere Model #412 plow
thanks farmwithjunk I value your opinion. Did any farmers ever use a 50 JD with 3pt 412 plow?
any and all comments welcome
Klink

/ John Deere Model #412 plow #4  
thanks farmwithjunk I value your opinion. Did any farmers ever use a 50 JD with 3pt 412 plow?
any and all comments welcome
Klink

I've seen 412's used behind 40's, 50's, 420's, 520's, 430's, 435's, 530's, 1010's, ect....not to mention mine, used mostly behind a '79 2440.

I'm hunting through my photo files, so far unsuccessfully, but I have a photo of my old 412 hooked to the Massey Ferguson 150 in my avatar. I have a 2X14" MF plow, but I was in a field that plows extremely easy, so I hooked up the 3-bottom plow and had some fun!

Farmwithjunk - Thanks for your info
Good to hear about all those tractors pulling JD 412 plows. I was raised with International Farmalls and Fords. I drove very few John Deeres. And that was 40 + years ago.
I obtained an aftermarket 3pt hitch for my JD 50. My goal is to have the tractor-plow rig ready for the North west Ohio Antique Machinery Association August 4-7 2011. Then maybe I can do some plow days this fall.
Any other JD 412 plow stories or suggestions from anyone would be interesting.
Klink

I actually bought my JD 412 plow a year or so before I bought my JD 50, So I'm sitting good for now. But I'll bet someone out there needs it.
Thanks
Klink

/ John Deere Model #412 plow #8  
This may or may not be a concern with your set up. My experience and observation of JD's from that era, comparing to new tractors is that the positioning of the top link on the tractor caused plows to lift differently. I had a JD125 3 bottom on my IH706, and had to shorten the top link to get the back bottom a good height for going down the road. When the neighbor put it on his 620 two banger, you could see the difference right away. His top link was almost straight up and down when lifted all the way. This probably will not really make any difference with a short two bottom, but just some thing to be aware of and look out for.

As to plow shape, IH plows do a much better job of rolling the dirt and breaking it up than the earlier JD plows like you have. If you ever get the chance to see JD and IH side by side, look at the curl at the end of the moldboard. JD curls back and IH curls forward. The IH will do a better job of shattering the dirt as it turns it over. Again just experience and my own observation in my own fields.

/ John Deere Model #412 plow #9  
This may or may not be a concern with your set up. My experience and observation of JD's from that era, comparing to new tractors is that the positioning of the top link on the tractor caused plows to lift differently. I had a JD125 3 bottom on my IH706, and had to shorten the top link to get the back bottom a good height for going down the road. When the neighbor put it on his 620 two banger, you could see the difference right away. His top link was almost straight up and down when lifted all the way. This probably will not really make any difference with a short two bottom, but just some thing to be aware of and look out for.

As to plow shape, IH plows do a much better job of rolling the dirt and breaking it up than the earlier JD plows like you have. If you ever get the chance to see JD and IH side by side, look at the curl at the end of the moldboard. JD curls back and IH curls forward. The IH will do a better job of shattering the dirt as it turns it over. Again just experience and my own observation in my own fields.

Just as a point of comparison, the JD125 plow you mentioned would have "NU" style bottoms (different moldboard contour) than the "HSS" style bottoms on a 412. They were from slightly different eras, with the older "HSS" being designed for operation at slightly slower ground speed.

Personally, I never was too impressed with either JD OR IH light draft mounted plows. Too many compromises made to accommodate tight confines of a comparatively low clearance frame. Much more satisfied with Ford 101's and Massey #66 or #43's.

Yesterday, I got my aftermarket 3pt hitch mounted on the JD50. And then I hooked up the plow to the 3pt hitch, which lifts and holds the plow up - no leak down. I was concerned that the Powr-Trol may not work properly after all this time. It looks like I will have to move the furrow wheel in closer, to have proper tractor-plow alignment. I still have a few adjustments to do. Also, I want to paint the plow. Good for now.
I will continue to update as time goes. Maybe some pics later.
Klink