12 volt

/ 12 volt #1  

JohnDeere5350

Tractor
1953 50
Hi ya'll im new to this forum so bear with me. i have a 53 JD 50 that has the original 6 volt system. i would like to convert it to 12volt. Now ive read that a gm delco SI-10 alternator will work? i have some newer delco-remys laying around would they work? it has the battery operated ignition and has no outter-coil. I read i need a 12volt coil or a ballast resistor? where do i get one of those and whats the installation process? Im new to these poppers but i know how to wrench. any help is appreciated

/ 12 volt #3  
Hi ya'll im new to this forum so bear with me. i have a 53 JD 50 that has the original 6 volt system. i would like to convert it to 12volt. Now ive read that a gm delco SI-10 alternator will work? i have some newer delco-remys laying around would they work? it has the battery operated ignition and has no outter-coil. I read i need a 12volt coil or a ballast resistor? where do i get one of those and whats the installation process? Im new to these poppers but i know how to wrench. any help is appreciated

You can certainly convert it to 12 volts but I will mention that another alternative that I used on my old Case SC tractor was to leave it 6 volts and install an 8 volt battery. This added just enough zip to the starter to make it work well. The 6v generator will charge up an 8v battery sufficiently.

A few years after putting in the 8 volt battery I did convert the tractor to 12 volt but I didn't really see much improvement for the time and money spent. The 8 volt battery with the 6 volt system worked just as well.

If you change to 12 volt system the resistor is in series with the ignition lead to the 6v coil and acts to lower the voltage feeding the coil. Typically you add a wire from the coil side of the resistor to the starter terminal of the ignition switch too, this allows the full voltage available to the coil while cranking the engine. Reasoning that the cranking voltage will be much lower while the starter is loading down the battery. When the starter switch is released the coil is then fed through the resistor to keep from damaging the coil. I should clarify that the points are also in the loop too as you have presently, so that the resistor is ahead of them.

/ 12 volt #4  
Before you go to too much trouble, a JD 50 originally came with 12 volt system. There were two 6 volts put in series to equal 12 volts. I would check your generator numbers and see if it is the correct one.

/ 12 volt #5  
and I would never go 8v. I'd do 6 or 12.. but not 8.

to the op.. if it's a 6v system and a maggie, you can slap a 12v alt on it, change lamps and go, as there is no 'coil'. if it is a battery ignition, and you are 12v, use a napa IC14SB coil and no resistor.

also.. if battery ignition, use a 3 wire setup so it will start charging at low rpm. if maggie ignition, wire up an exciter switch to the alt so you can use it as 3 wire. low rpm engines have a hard time exciting 1 wire gm delco alt.

soundguy

/ 12 volt #6  

All John Deere 50's were 12 volt. They would have 2 6 volt batteries under your seat. It's predessor, the Model B was 6 volt.