John Deere model G 3-point hitch

/ John Deere model G 3-point hitch #1  

JackDWaller

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere 2320
Hi All,

I never did sell my JD model G but plan to in the spring. I've gotten to wondering if anyone knows why the 3-point rock shaft, has never been functional. I recall many years ago asking, and possibly being told that the fact that it was there did not mean that the tractor had 3-point capability. I only ever used the hydraulics for the front end loader and never had any implements so I just ignored it.

I'm curious as to whether it could be made functional. It would seem to be an important feature for JD to have incorporated but not made fully functional??

Jack

/ John Deere model G 3-point hitch #2  
I'm going by memory here, so bear with me! I don't believe the model "G" rockshaft will work at the same time as the outlets. If the hoses are plugged in (with the original plugs) that stops the rockshaft, if your tractor has the "Pioneer" style plugs, check to see if one of the plugs in the original outlets (top one, I think) has a cap that screws off, if it does, there should be a thumb crew inside that turns in or out to allow the rockshaft to work. Been a long time since I've used a G, so I don't recall the for sure. Hope this helps! ~~ grnspot

/ John Deere model G 3-point hitch
Thanks grnspot110! I have a strong feeling that you are right, it seems to make sense. I don't think it was explained to me that way but since I needed the hydraulics for the loader I guess it wouldn't have made any difference.

Now I have my JD 2320 with loader I probably will dispense with the antiquated one on the G. It depends if I decide to do a bit of restoration on it. In that case I'll check out your advice and maybe I can have a functioning 3-point (I'd have to rig up the linkage though, so maybe it's not worth it).

Thanks again.

Jack

/ John Deere model G 3-point hitch #4  
On my old JD 50 I just change out the plugs for the remote with plugs that are normally clipped in a factory bracket on the side of Power-Trol. It would reroute the fluid to the 3-point cylinder. Power-Trol was quite an improvement in its day but it is a pain now days to use. It is very simple to rebuild though.

My Dad many many years ago had a JD 70 he farmed with. You couldn't use a semi-mount plow because you needed both the 3-point and rear outlets. He had a JD 4 bottom fully mounted plow hanging off the back. That made the front end a little light. You didn't want to pull her out of the ground fast.:laughing: Those were the days when you could hear that 2 cylinder working in the distance. Sweetest tractor sound there is:D

If you want to wake up the neighborhood hook a dyno on the old "G" and let her talk.:thumbsup:

/ John Deere model G 3-point hitch #5  
I forgot I had taken this pic of my wifes uncle's tractor a while back. I did the engine work on it before it was painted a few years ago. Its a phone picture so not the greatest.
It had a cracked head. It has been bored out .125 and they put M&W's pistons. She definitly pops!:D

Attachments

• 2011-12-03_18-14-14_244.jpg
    2011-12-03_18-14-14_244.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 4,883
Thanks for that. I will not be investigating the G 3-point until spring. Sure seems like those who know the old twins love them! That is a nice looking repaint. Makes me wonder if I should part with my G!

Jack

/ John Deere model G 3-point hitch #7  
I can't seem to part with my G either. I have had it for 20 plus years.

Over 30 for me. ;)

There was a time when my wife complained I loved the G more than her - all those landscaping hours outside in the yard. One neighbour was a rather picky type and I thought she'd complain about the noise morning to night but the two of them just chuckled about the sound of the twin.

One day I was pulling and lifting a restoration car on a pretty good slope and flipped the G on it's side, spraining my ankle as I jumped off as far as I possibly could and did a few rolls fully expecting it to roll onto me. Sure woke me up. Good old farmer nearby came over and pulled her upright and I was back in business. Then there was the time I got too close to the creek and dug myself a big hole. Ended up sweating, jacking and placing planks for a few hours.

And there was the time I had a poor battery and didn't want to shut her off while filling from my 300 gal tank. A bit of spill caught on fire on top of the engine under the gas tank! I had a front blade on that almost caught on the tank legs (you know how hard the steering is) as I whipped the G back down the drive away from the house and ran for an extinguisher. That ranked up there as the scare of my life - 300 gal spill with a fire, only 50 feet from the house would have been very interesting.

Good (bad?) memories.

Jack