John Deere 50

/ John Deere 50 #1  

suntreemcanic

Silver Member
Tractor
Kabota B7800 HSD
I grew up around John Deere tractors A's B's and then newer 4 cylinders and then a big 4020. My wife saw this Model 50 the other day with a FEL. I do not remember ever seeing a 50 series tractor. Were they as dependable as the old A and B models? It is a 1952 model with a single tire front end. It does not have any serious rust and the clutch is torn apart. I have been a heavy equipment mechanic for 30 years so the mechanical aspect does not worry me. The owner is asking $2500 including a 45 series loader with a dump bucket (no hydraulic cylinder for bucket operation). The tractor gives the appearance that it would start and you could put it to work (if the clutch was fixed). Is there anybody out there with one of these tractors? One of my secondary uses for this tractor would be pushing snow. There is not enough room to put a chain on the front wheel to steer it during plowing operations can it be converted to a different front end style? I will try to get a picture when the weather improves.

/ John Deere 50 #2  
The 50 replaced the "B" about 1952 or 53. A little higher HP than the "B", a very capable little tractor. The clutch shouldn't be too big of a deal, check places like Stiener Tractor or Restoration Supply for parts. ~~ grnspot

/ John Deere 50 #3  
You can also change out the front end for a wide front. In fact, it would be very dangerous to use with the single front wheel. It could easily roll.

/ John Deere 50 #4  
You can also change out the front end for a wide front. In fact, it would be very dangerous to use with the single front wheel. It could easily roll.

You can't use a 45 loader on a wide front tractor, unless it's a 45W! Having grown up on narrow front JD's (two-wheeled front), they are not as dangerous as some would lead you to believe.

Also, to change the front end on an early 50 (round pedestal) would be quite a task. The whole front pedestal, top to bottom would have to be changed! The 20 series (520, 620 & 720) had bolt-on pedestals, change with four bolts. ~~ grnspot

/ John Deere 50 #5  
If you can get a picture of the front end I can tell you if it is convertible. There were a few late letter series and some 50 series with what was callled a convertible front end. They are much easier to change. A wide front may be quite expensive. I own a 1953 50 which has the solid pedistal. Great little tractor. Clutch is a breeze and all of the parts are availible thru Deere. You can also pickup any manuals there as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1919 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1919 (800x600).jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 5,416
   / John Deere 50 #6  
I grew up around John Deere tractors A's B's and then newer 4 cylinders and then a big 4020. My wife saw this Model 50 the other day with a FEL. I do not remember ever seeing a 50 series tractor. Were they as dependable as the old A and B models? It is a 1952 model with a single tire front end. It does not have any serious rust and the clutch is torn apart. I have been a heavy equipment mechanic for 30 years so the mechanical aspect does not worry me. The owner is asking $2500 including a 45 series loader with a dump bucket (no hydraulic cylinder for bucket operation). The tractor gives the appearance that it would start and you could put it to work (if the clutch was fixed). Is there anybody out there with one of these tractors? One of my secondary uses for this tractor would be pushing snow. There is not enough room to put a chain on the front wheel to steer it during plowing operations can it be converted to a different front end style? I will try to get a picture when the weather improves.
Twice the tractor the B ever was. Duplex carb, optional live pto, live hydraulics and optional power steering from April 1954.what is the serial # to figure the age?

/ John Deere 50 #7  
John Deere 50 is a very nice tractor when equipped with PS and live hydraulics and 3pt hitch. I have a 45W loader for this tractor too. Do not worry about stability with your narrow front although using a loader will definitely effect the stability even with a wide front.

IMG_0210-1-1.jpg

JohnDeere50w45Wloader003-1.jpg

Your single front maybe unique and therefore of more interest than another front end.

/ John Deere 50 #8  
My great uncle left me a 1956 John Deere 50. He used it with a #45 loader, #5 sickle bar mower, 5' brushhog, and a plow. He never complained about the tractor not having enough power. He kept everything for the tractor including original sales receipt and it was over $2000 then.