JD B Clutch Problem

/ JD B Clutch Problem #1  

jmauderly

Tractor
John Deere B
I restored a '48 JD B. engine runs well, but can't get the clutch adjusted. I replaced the crankshaft, pulley, and clutch parts with Ok used parts, and used all new clutch facings and drive disk. Set the crankshaft endplay with clutch installed to .008. No matter what I do with tightening the springs, it's so loose that it disengages OK, but slips when in gear or it's so tight that it works fine in gear, but won't completely disengage (drags on engine when I brake the pulley). I've had it apart multiple times checking components, and can't find anything wrong. clutch lever never has the amount of snap that I think is OK. What could be the problem?

/ JD B Clutch Problem #2  
Sounds like you've done everything right, I'm not sure why it won't adjust. It doesn't take much tightening or loosening of the castle nuts to adjust the clutch. Are you adjusting them one castellation at a time? Here's a link that may be of some use. Meli's Tips - The Clutch

Good luck

John

/ JD B Clutch Problem
John:

Thanks for the response and info. I have the manuals. Tonight I got a tip from Bruce Johnson, the "B expert" listed with 2-cylinder mag. I think it may be that I didn't have the pulley brake set tight enough. Following his advice, and with the tractor shut down, I tightened the bolts until I got a good snap engagement and disengagement, then set the pulley brake to stop the pulley just as soon as the clutch disengaged. According to Bruce, if you have the brake set too loose and have to pull the lever too far back, the clutch can re-engage. I'll see if that fixed it first thing tomorrow.

Joe

/ JD B Clutch Problem
John (et. al.):

Setting the pulley brake to stop the clutch fork travel just after disengagement did the trick! It works fine now. My problem was allowing too much fork (lever) travel, and thus allowing the dogs to flip over and re-engage.

Joe