My Grand Dad's New/old A

/ My Grand Dad's New/old A #1  

AKwelder

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, 1953 International "Super C"
So my grandfather and father went to a auction and each came home with a johnny popper. My grandfather who is still on the farm bought himself a styled model A that runs pretty good and has a newer coat of paint on it. I believe it is a 1949 model. His only regret and my families fear is that it doesn't have electric start. He is 80 years old and insists on going out and opening the petcocks and pulling on the flywheel over until it starts. Then he has trouble with it and my 79 year old grandmother gets involved. They sure are members of the greatest generation! And stubborn, guess my wife knows where that came from. and as soon as we leave he is back at it.

Can anyone help me find what i need to get electric start on this tractor? It is located in Minnesota south of St. Cloud and grandpa would love to spend the time putting it on and working on the tractor. Web Links and parts companies would be great.

Thank You

/ My Grand Dad's New/old A #2  
If I am not mistaken the Model A's came with the option of an electric starter. I would look at some salvage yards for a starter or a place that rebuilds them. i am not sure if Steiner Tractor has the starters for it but I would definitely take a look there. I do not think there is much needed to make it electric start other than the starter, flywheel with ring gear, starter switch and a battery. You should be able to get a starter that fits and all you would have to do would be to put it in and hook up the wires. Good luck.

/ My Grand Dad's New/old A #3  
So my grandfather and father went to a auction and each came home with a johnny popper. My grandfather who is still on the farm bought himself a styled model A that runs pretty good and has a newer coat of paint on it. I believe it is a 1949 model. His only regret and my families fear is that it doesn't have electric start. He is 80 years old and insists on going out and opening the petcocks and pulling on the flywheel over until it starts. Then he has trouble with it and my 79 year old grandmother gets involved. They sure are members of the greatest generation! And stubborn, guess my wife knows where that came from. and as soon as we leave he is back at it.

Can anyone help me find what i need to get electric start on this tractor? It is located in Minnesota south of St. Cloud and grandpa would love to spend the time putting it on and working on the tractor. Web Links and parts companies would be great.

Thank You

Try here

Used John Deere Tractor Parts For Sale - Replacement, Antique, Collectable Parts

I'm getting a 1949 JD BW later this week. Has the electric starter. Like your grandfather, I'm looking forward to cleaning this one up.

Good luck.

/ My Grand Dad's New/old A
I have been looking at the starter, alternator(why go 6 volt), mounts, wiring harness, battery and box, and all the little things i forget

/ My Grand Dad's New/old A #6  
A 1949 A should have electric start unless someone removed it.

/ My Grand Dad's New/old A #7  
neven said:
A 1949 A should have electric start unless someone removed it.

I'd agree. Unless the tractor is older than a '49.it might actually be an early '40's. The '49 would typically have the square seat platform with battery storage underneath.