john Deere 70

/ john Deere 70 #1  

BlackRaptor

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Okay I feel very stupid about this.
Where is the oil dip stick on the 70? Before winter I want to change all fluids but having trouble finding it. Or is it one of those fill holes you fill till it runs out ? Last what weight oil ? It's a 1954. Thanks

/ john Deere 70 #2  
No "dip stick"! Look under the belt pulley & slightly forward, you will find a long hex nut with another nut in it's outside, unscrew the outer nut a couple of turns to check the oil level. There is a hole in the bottom of the long nut, when oil drips from the hole (with the outer nut loosened) it's full. Just make sure the hole isn't plugged (which it usually isn't). ~~ grnspot

/ john Deere 70 #3  
1-800-522-744& because there are dozens more hidden surprises waiting to be checked. Also get a torque wrench and check the flywheel bolts. Who knows what pending disaster a previous tinkerer has left for you.

/ john Deere 70 #4  
The oil for it would most likely be a 30 weight for summer, 20 weight for fall and spring and 10 weight in the winter. What variant to the model 70 is yours. 70, 70D, 70S or 70 high-crop?

/ john Deere 70
Thanks for getting back to me.
It's a 70 wide front gas.
I attached a couple pictures they are not very good though the 3320 is blocking it.

I need to go through all nuts and bolts and tighten everything. soon as i finish my shop in the shed the whole tractor is getting broke down for a complete restore/rebuild.

This was my grandpa's tractor i have so many memories of riding on this tractor when i was as young as 3. spent many hours growing up riding with him on it. so i want to restore it back to perfect.

IMAG0005.jpgIMAG0007.jpgIMAG0008.jpg

/ john Deere 70 #6  
Nice Black raptor especially with that heritage.Also restoring a 70 gas, just getting geared up to pull the cylinder case and the crankshaft.I grew up around John Deere two cylinders and always loved them.So far have restored a 50 and a 60,and loved every minute of it.
Mike Ross