Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 70

Default Re: 70 john deere restoration

Steve, will do.After owning and using a 60 for a few years really looking forward to seeing how this 70 works.Sure like the sound they make when earning their keep.Mostly only pulling plows now once retired might look into finding work for them.
    Looking into getting the rest of the parts for an 801 hitch need the upper link bars will take inventory in the next couple of days.

Tractor
    john deere

Quote Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
    Steve, will do.After owning and using a 60 for a few years really looking forward to seeing how this 70 works.Sure like the sound they make when earning their keep.Mostly only pulling plows now once retired might look into finding work for them.
    Looking into getting the rest of the parts for an 801 hitch need the upper link bars will take inventory in the next couple of days.
    OK and thank you
    glad to be friends
    i am a 62 year old raised on JD A's and B and a early 40's D
    steve

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 70

Flusher
    Restored a 50 then a 60 both needed the PowerTrol rebuilt as will this 70.Once the motor is back together will pull the back of the tractor apart to renew the PowerTrol ORing and gaskets while in there pull the bull gears and renew the axle seals.Have to wait out the snow season that part of the shop is not heated.We have been having crazy weather yesterday was in the 50's so managed to get the engine oil pump pulled for cleaning and inspection.
    Big part of these restorations is staying ahead of the mess oil spills antifreeze always leaks on the floor.The wife usually has a few things to say about the condition of my clothes.She sure loves the results once they are putting around the barnyard.
    Mike

QUOTE=flusher;3089861]I feel the same way--enjoy restoration--it's the fun part. Working on my 1949 JD B right now. Need to build a 3-point hitch and get the PowerTrol working properly.

Good luck with your 70 project[/QUOTE]

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Awesome restore.
    I also have a wide front 70 like yours I plan on doing a full restore on next winter. I'll be taking notes on your progress.

Trying to decide if I want to restore and paint the loader to match or leave it off.
    Chad.
    2012 Ford F-150 FX4 max tow ecoboost 3.73 ELD
    2012 John Deere 3320 Cab 300CX FEL
    1997 John Deere 425 60" MMM
    1954 John Deere 70 Wide Front FEL

Husqvarna Rancher 460 with 24" and 18" bars.

2008 John Deere 2520, 200CX FEL, 62inch Ramp on Deck. (Traded)

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

I do have a question while your restoring the 70 are you going to do a basic rebuild or upgrade the power steering?
    My Grandpa who purchased the 70 new was telling me there is a fix or upgrade for the power steering right now its terrible it only turns easy one direction the other it almost fights you trying to turn it. everyone has always dropped the loader and taken some of the weight off the nose when having to turn tight one direction. I'm guessing during the restore the power steering can be fixed up to one finger steer both directions?
    Chad.
    2012 Ford F-150 FX4 max tow ecoboost 3.73 ELD
    2012 John Deere 3320 Cab 300CX FEL
    1997 John Deere 425 60" MMM
    1954 John Deere 70 Wide Front FEL

Husqvarna Rancher 460 with 24" and 18" bars.

2008 John Deere 2520, 200CX FEL, 62inch Ramp on Deck. (Traded)

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 70

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaptor View Post
    I do have a question while your restoring the 70 are you going to do a basic rebuild or upgrade the power steering?
    My Grandpa who purchased the 70 new was telling me there is a fix or upgrade for the power steering right now its terrible it only turns easy one direction the other it almost fights you trying to turn it. everyone has always dropped the loader and taken some of the weight off the nose when having to turn tight one direction. I'm guessing during the restore the power steering can be fixed up to one finger steer both directions?
    Black Raptor,had not heard a thing about steering issues but thanks for the update will certainly look into it.Had a loader with mine but gave it to my brother for his 50.Only work planned for these tractors are plowing, harrowing,mowing,pulling,showing off,Who said that.Have ported and polished the head using valve rotators,also propane manifold for better flow.

Tractor
    1958 JD 620,JD 410 backhoe,scotts L2548

Thanks for the great pictures. I have always wanted to see the size of the pistons and rods in one of these. What are the thumbnail size reliefs for in the piston tops? Do you know if that is typical for older models, like ones with compression relief petcocks? Just curious, hope I never have to see the inside of mine.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 70

The picture of the parts does give you an idea but seeing and handling the parts gives one a whole new respect for what these tractors can do.It is amazing seeing these big motors apart and handling the pieces imagining that all that weight relys on a thin film of oil to keep the parts from burning up. The reliefs on the piston tops is normal for these vintage JD's it gives the spark plugs clearance since the plugs are in the cylinder block not the heads.The newer 500 600 700 series tractors have the plugs in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by MD83Z View Post
    Thanks for the great pictures. I have always wanted to see the size of the pistons and rods in one of these. What are the thumbnail size reliefs for in the piston tops? Do you know if that is typical for older models, like ones with compression relief petcocks? Just curious, hope I never have to see the inside of mine.

Tractor
    John Deere 790, 420, 314, 317 "Special", "L/60" Custom & 70 I

Good to see the old two-lungers being restored! I grew up on a 53-60 & 58-720D (electric start), & had a 70D for a while. ~~ grnspot

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 70

We grew up on a small farm at first with old gitnees and horse drawn equipment. Eventually with inspiration from a neighbor with a 50 and a 620,which to me seemed huge Dad bought a Farmall cheap it was so much better.The first 70 I ever saw was after getting my own home and having a field tilled up a local doing that stuff for extra money.Wow that big boy impressed me big time have wanted one ever since.
    Just pulled the govenor case off and all apart for new bearings now also need ring and pinion for fan drive.Next thing to rebuild and paint is the FloatRide.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast