70 john deere restoration

/ 70 john deere restoration #1  

mdross1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 70
Hello JD enthusiasts,
First post,have started a complete resto on a 70 John Deere gas.Plan is to warm the motor a tad with Murphy's 2.0 rocker arms,super valve job,mild porting and polishing,also considering a propane intake and exhaust manifold.Any of you tried the propane manifold? I here it changes the location of the carb a little.Want to keep the stock oil bath and plumbing hardware some how and still get it to breath easier.
Mike Ross

/ 70 john deere restoration
Tractor is stripped down and next days off will pull the cylinder case and pistons.Once I figure out how to post pictures will do just that. 70 JD  Conn.jpg

Will have to wait until spring to change crankshaft too cold in shop where tractor sits.In the meantime all the parts off so far are in the reconditioning loop.Have over half of them looking brand new stripped off all the old paint refurbish then fresh paint.Doing the pain in the neck stuff all the steel tubing for power steering and PowerTrol,throttle rods,all the big bolts and nuts.
Brake adjusters on both sides are frozen, and a couple of broken bolts to mess with.Oh how we enjoy the resto projects,the wife says I'd rather be doing this part than driving them.She is half right.
Gotta say also very few of the parts on this tractor can be lifted by hand most need chain jacks.

/ 70 john deere restoration #5  
Looks like a fun project. Any pictures of it during the restoration?

Last edited:
001 (2).JPG

Tried attaching a few pictures

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 536
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 382
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 661
   / 70 john deere restoration #7  
Looks great, keep us posted on the progress.

/ 70 john deere restoration #8  
I feel the same way--enjoy restoration--it's the fun part. Working on my 1949 JD B right now. Need to build a 3-point hitch and get the PowerTrol working properly.

Good luck with your 70 project:)

So far things have been going great most everything off the tractor is now cleaned repaired and painted.Starter and generator both renewed,new friction lining on clutch brake and tractor brakes with turned drums.When the weather warms up enough will tear into the crankshaft change with all new bearings and seals.Also need to clean repair and paint the sheet metal that too will wait till spring.Have a rebuilt Roll-O-Matic front-end with 1274R wheels and new triple ribs but decided to renew the wide front end for now.Could not ask for a more theraputic winter project.

/ 70 john deere restoration #10  
So far things have been going great most everything off the tractor is now cleaned repaired and painted.Starter and generator both renewed,new friction lining on clutch brake and tractor brakes with turned drums.When the weather warms up enough will tear into the crankshaft change with all new bearings and seals.Also need to clean repair and paint the sheet metal that too will wait till spring.Have a rebuilt Roll-O-Matic front-end with 1274R wheels and new triple ribs but decided to renew the wide front end for now.Could not ask for a more theraputic winter project.

i have a 1954 model 70 with a roll-o-matic
i sure wish i could find a front end like yours to put on my model 70
if you have a change of heart and ever want to sell the sq wide front end we should talk
i love the tractor
it has a lot of power
keep us posted on your restoration please
steve