JD 4010

/ JD 4010 #1  

60sdeereman

Tractor
John Deere 4010
I have a 4010 that sat for about 10 years. the only thing wrong with it at the time was the points and the plugs. When I finally got around to it, i had to have the carb and tank cleaned. the fuel like was plugged up until i blew it out. I replaced the points and put in a new coil. I bought new spark plugs and put them in as well. It turns over and fires but it has very little power and smokes a lot. It has the Marvel Schebler carburetor so it has 2 screws to adjust but they do not seem to help at all. it will even run with them tighted all the way. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated thanks.

/ JD 4010 #2  
Put a little ATF down the cylinders and let them soak for a few days. Sounds like the rings are stuck causing bad compression.

/ JD 4010
Put a little ATF down the cylinders and let them soak for a few days. Sounds like the rings are stuck causing bad compression.

could that be why the oil is starting to look dirty? I put fresh oil in it the day i got it running. it has less than 5 hours of operation on the oil change.