John Deere 50 Running problems

/ John Deere 50 Running problems #1  

jefferydon

Tractor
John Deere 50
I have inherited a John Deere 50 from my father. He was restoring the tractor for our town parade. I have been able to put it back together and ran it for a while but now it wont start at all or if it does it only runs for a few minutes the dies again. I have put a new fuel filter and verified that fuel is getting to the carb. Does anyone know where I would start to look for the problem.

/ John Deere 50 Running problems #2  
Sounds like it still has to be a fuel problem especially if it will start run than die.Id say pull the float bowl drain plug let it drain then turn fuel on see how long it takes to flow and stay flowing good.

/ John Deere 50 Running problems #3  
Sounds like its flooding it self. Try ajusting the idel scew.

/ John Deere 50 Running problems
Sounds like it still has to be a fuel problem especially if it will start run than die.Id say pull the float bowl drain plug let it drain then turn fuel on see how long it takes to flow and stay flowing good.

It is still having fuel problems. I pulled the fuel line off last night and it did not have any fuel coming out at all. I discarded this because the filter was full of fuel but that seemed to be the problem. I plan on rigging up a lifted fuel pick up to get past the trash that is on the bottom of the tank thanks for your help.

/ John Deere 50 Running problems #5  
If you remove the fuel bowl assembly there should be a screen that goes into the tank. Just to be sure, is the fuel turned on.

If there is a inline filter check to make sure it can keep up with the fuel consumption of the tractor.

Last edited:
The fuel is on but iremoved the fuel lines a drained the tank tonight. The fuel line was full of rust flakes causing the fuel starvation. I have a parade to run this weekend so i am going to pick up a sediment filter for a ford that has a reserve so the pick up will be off the bottom of the tank. After the parade I plan on having the tank cleaned and epoxy coated.

/ John Deere 50 Running problems #7  
Don't forget to take pictures of the parade for us.

Here is our parade setup every thing went great. Thank for everyones help.

2012-12-01_16-24-52_112.jpg

/ John Deere 50 Running problems #9  
The video in my signature is a link to the pictures of my tractor cruise Glad to hear you had fun.

Last edited: