70 power steering issues?

/ 70 power steering issues? #1  

mdross1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 70
Restoring a Model 70 luckly this tractor has very few hours on the clock all the things show as it has been disassembled.
Black Rapture pointed out from memory about a Model 70 in his family that had powering steering issues.
Would any of you recall what it might be and if there was a repair from JD.
The steering on my 60 after resto acted funny for a while but after a long day of plowing it settled in and works great now.Thought was after the flushing and working in the new fluid was the reason for the steering coming around.

/ 70 power steering issues? #2  
The guy down the road from me restores old iron for living and has done at least 100 of the 50 60 70 tractors. I'll try to stop down there after Christmas and find out what is all needed to fix the power steering. I also want to know so i can stop almost running into things.

I did talk to my Grandpa about it yesterday and he said it was a common problem on the 70 and he knew of a few people who rolled 70's into the ditch due to not being able to get it to turn. I have changed the fluid on mine and didnt help. I used common power steering fluid.

I searched a little and found PART #AF2235R should be labeled John Deere 2-Cylinder Power Steering Oil in a White 1 quart container with white and black label.Is the stuff to use and the tractor is very picky on the fluid you use.

Hopefully someone on the forum knows a lot about the new I'm no expert.

/ 70 power steering issues?
This 70 is my third complete JD resto and I'm still a novice.The power steering pump on my 70 is like new have the valve body off the tractor before it goes back on will take it apart and examine everything.Do remember reading somewhere about vintage JD power steering,but nothing Specific.No way can it be more complicated than automobile power steering and I have restored a lot of those.Funny after gift giving plan to go to the shop for a few hours and strip paint from the steering pipes and one hose.
Happy Holidays
Mike Ross

It has been a while since the 70 was finished did not get to use it much but what I did the steering still needs work. Have changed the fluid several times still every once in a while it locks up which can be scary. Bought a manual specific to these tractors on power steering and talked to some old pro's. They can be finicky so mine will come back apart next spring to re examine all the parts inside and see what happens.

/ 70 power steering issues? #5  
The guy down the road from me restores old iron for living and has done at least 100 of the 50 60 70 tractors. I'll try to stop down there after Christmas and find out what is all needed to fix the power steering. I also want to know so i can stop almost running into things.

I did talk to my Grandpa about it yesterday and he said it was a common problem on the 70 and he knew of a few people who rolled 70's into the ditch due to not being able to get it to turn. I have changed the fluid on mine and didnt help. I used common power steering fluid.

I searched a little and found PART #AF2235R should be labeled John Deere 2-Cylinder Power Steering Oil in a White 1 quart container with white and black label.Is the stuff to use and the tractor is very picky on the fluid you use.

Hopefully someone on the forum knows a lot about the new I'm no expert.

That's very true...we discovered the same thing with my 70. After fixing a few PS leaks we put new oil in and it just didn't work right. After a discussion with a very knowledgeable friend at the local JD dealership we switched to the recommended oil and all was well.

Always used only JD power steering fluid. After talking to an ole pro there is one expensive set screw that has always caused problems not to mention set up clearances. Now waiting for warmer weather to the whole assembly off the tractor check all the clearances and set it up by the book.