Tractor
    John Deere 430

Default John Deere 430W

I'm new to vintage tractors and am looking for the opinions of those with more knowledge than myself. I have a gentleman's agreement with a friend to purchase a '59 JD 430W Row Crop. Good working order, everything except the power steering functions as it should, including the 3pt and 5sp transmission. I am trying to get a feel for what this tractor is capable of in regard to implement size. Immediate uses involve maintenance to a gravel driveway and snow removal so I am most interested in opinion on what size would be optimal in both a box blade and back blade (straight/scraper blade). Any other advice or things I should know in regard to this model tractor? I am quite excited at the prospect of putting some old iron to work on the household chores, just want to make sure this tractor will be suited for the work I am planning. Thanks everyone!

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Default Re: John Deere 430W

The 430 should handle a 6' angle or box blade.

Tractor
    John Deere 430

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    The 430 should handle a 6' angle or box blade.
    Thanks for the response Tx Jim, 6' seemed like the most likely choice.

Tractor
    johndeere-m

i have a m--little older--been in family 65 years----used and farmed with much larger tractors---those 2 cyd are the strongest thing for no more motor--crank-run-work-hardly ever give trouble--depending on soil type should pull 2 -14 plows-5 or 6 foot blade--4-5 foot disk- 1 subsoiler-tiller-cultavators--no problem---advice--go to you-tube and watch those thing work---if it looks pretty good you be lucky to get it for 3500-4000 bucks--john deere quit making the 2 cyd in 1960--hope that c e o -got fired back then---they will if right spin and bury itself befoe going dead---get rid of that gentlemens agreement and becone the owner--rare-desirable--getting higher-and harder to find--if you dont want-- it let me know where its at--i want it if not to far away

Tractor
    John Deere 1020RU

My Grandfather bought a 430W new back in the 50's and was used daily. It had its very first oil change in 1981! You can not kill those tractors no matter how hard you try. At a dead stop you could put it in 5th gear and dump the clutch hard, it would lift the front tires off the ground with out a problem. Ask any old timer, those 2 cyd John Deere's where the best tractors John Deere ever built.

Tractor
    John Deere 430

Proud to say the 430 was delivered tonight. Let the fun begin!

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by bryan239 View Post
    Ask any old timer, those 2 cyd John Deere's where the best tractors John Deere ever built.
    Not this oldtimer. I like the 2 cylinders as I have a BO but favor the later models with AIR CONDITINING

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    '59 John Deere 435

Congrats. As much as I really like my 435, I wouldn't mind a 430 someday if the right one came along.

They are real good tractors.

Bill

Tractor
    John Deere 1020RU

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Not this oldtimer. I like the 2 cylinders as I have a BO but favor the later models with AIR CONDITINING
    And cup holders too??

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original

I have a neighbor that is 79 yrs old that is known as the John Deere Man around here. He has about 25 JD's , the old 2 cylinders are what he deals in. He'll buy one for parts, disassemble it and get what he needs, store the rest and make money off of every tractor he buys.He's like a walking encyclopedia on the older JD's. He had dinner with us tonight and in his talking he said he had 15 tractors that he considered his, not for sale, and in the 15 were (3) 430's that he was not selling as "they are very sought after and pretty high dollar". So with that knowledge, I think you made a good choice and good investment. His running daily use tractor is a 430 he bought back in the 70's.

He told me tonight that before he moved to our side of town and back in his heyday he had 115 JD's in his personal collection and salvage yard, different stages of repair or restoration. That's a lot of green sheetmetal in one place...lol.

Have any of you guys ever heard of John Rogers from SC? He's traveled all over the eastern half of the US buying tractors and parts?
    modify, adjust and improvise....a country boy can survive