NEW GUY HI all~~~~John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor

/ NEW GUY HI all~~~~John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor #1  

hotrodinjt

Tractor
JD 400
Hi All,
I am Scott. I live in the high desert of southern California where it freezes at night this time of year. I am here to learn and get some help. I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor. I am hoping you can help me with a few things. The tractor story is: I had the tractor a few years and it worked great until I was running it on a warm day and out of the exhaust pipe came white smoke. I checked the oil and guess what, no oil!!! So I turned it off and let it cool off and added oil. After it cooled down it would not turn over. So about 30 days went by, I took the air intake off, added a quart of Marvels mystery oil, let it soak in for a week or so then turned it over, and it's turning s-s-slow. An engine builder told me I need to rebuild it. So, I need an overhaul how-to book. I need to move it in the shop and tear it apart. I have never done a tractor and don't have a fork lift to move it or pull the engine. Any ideas may help me. So I need to find the year and where to get a book. Here is what's on the Tractor:
John Deere 4 cylinder Diesel Tractor "JD400 "
Engine tag: type: M53TW Serial: 162130T
Under drivers seat tag: type T5W3D serial: 1063481
Bucket arm tag: type: e-7400 serial: 0080230
I have been walking around kicking my own stupid butt for not checking the oil!!! So you don't need to tell me about it. I now check the oil and water in my other autos more often!!!! Lesson learned the hard way!!! I don't know how to post a pic on this post.
Any useful information would be great. Scott

/ NEW GUY HI all~~~~John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor #2  
:welcome:

/ NEW GUY HI all~~~~John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor #3  
Welcome to the forum. Post your problem in the John Deere section. You'll get better response there.

/ NEW GUY HI all~~~~John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor #4  
Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ken

/ NEW GUY HI all~~~~John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor
Ok thanks guys will post in the John Deere Vintage Tractors!

/ NEW GUY HI all~~~~John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor #7  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the John Deere Vintage Tractors forum.