I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel

/ I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel #1  

hotrodinjt

Tractor
JD 400
Hi All,
I am Scott. I live in the high desert of southern California where it freezes at night this time of year. I am here to learn and get some help. I have spent many hours online looking for information on my tractor and can't find the answers I need. I hope you can help. I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor. I am hoping you can help me with a few things. The tractor story is: I had the tractor a few years and it worked great until I was running it on a warm day and out of the exhaust pipe came white smoke. I checked the oil and guess what, no oil!!! So I turned it off and let it cool off and added oil. After it cooled down it would not turn over. So about 30 days went by, I took the air intake off, added a quart of Marvels mystery oil, let it soak in for a week or so then turned it over, and it's turning s-s-slow. An engine builder told me I need to rebuild it. So, I need an overhaul how-to book. I need to move it in the shop and tear it apart. I have never done a tractor and don't have a fork lift to move it or pull the engine. Any ideas may help me. So I need to find the year and where to get a book. Here is what's on the Tractor:
John Deere 4 cylinder Diesel Tractor "JD400 "
Engine tag: type: M53TW Serial: 162130T
Under drivers seat tag: type T5W3D serial: 1063481
Bucket arm tag: type: e-7400 serial: 0080230
I have been walking around kicking my own stupid butt for not checking the oil!!! So you don't need to tell me about it. I now check the oil and water in my other autos more often!!!! Lesson learned the hard way!!! I don't know how to post a pic on this post.
Any useful information would be great. Scott

/ I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel #2  
:welcome:

/ I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel #3  
You can order a repair manual from JD by calling 866-213-3373 or 414-466-6060

/ I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel #4  
   / I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel #5  
Found this:
The JD400--Industrial version of the 2020
If that info is correct, you might just be able to get a shop manual for a 2020. It should be a lot easier to come by.

There are several differences between a 2020 & a 400's hyd systems. The hyd's are somewhat alike but different. I'd spend the extra $$$$$ for the correct service manual.

/ I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel #6  
There are several differences between a 2020 & a 400's hyd systems. The hyd's are somewhat alike but different. I'd spend the extra $$$$$ for the correct service manual.

Thanks Jim, I was just going by what that website was saying. I didn't know.

/ I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel
Thanks guys. I called JD and got the digital copies of the books, wow lots of work. I was hoping that I could get it going without a rebuild. It does turn over slow and does not make any noise. but its very slow even with two new batteries. I was thinking I could start it and see how it sounds? But I think the cylinders may still have oil in them and making it hard to turn over?!? How long should it take for the oil to drain out? Or am I wrong about thinking I could start it!?? What can I do to get the pressure off the cylinders to make it easy turn over? Thanks for the help so far! S

/ I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel #8  
I think the engine components that are causing it to turn over slowly are not the pistons & liners but the rod & main brgs. One could remove the pan and inspect the rod/main brgs for damage. There are also 2 balancer shafts in the lower part of the engine block(photo attached) that could have brg problems. Only easy way to release compression would be to remove injectors.

Attachments

• RXP8355________UN01JAN94.gif
    RXP8355________UN01JAN94.gif
    6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
   / I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel
Hi Tx Jim, I talked to someone about just that. I Am thinking about doing this when I have time. I was also told I can't take the engine crank out without taking the engine out. I Loosened the injectors but did not pull on them thinking the pressure would push them out? I did not want to break the o ring! I think I can spray some WD on them and let it soak in so the o rigs will not break. They have been on the tractor for years. I don't know much about diesel tractors so I am asking the stupid questions so I don't do something that would cost me more money. I have more time than money! thank you for your help and ideas. Scott

/ I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel #10  
Crankshaft or balancer shafts can't be removed while engine is in tractor.