Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 400

Default I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel

Hi All,
    I am Scott. I live in the high desert of southern California where it freezes at night this time of year. I am here to learn and get some help. I have spent many hours online looking for information on my tractor and can't find the answers I need. I hope you can help. I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel tractor. I am hoping you can help me with a few things. The tractor story is: I had the tractor a few years and it worked great until I was running it on a warm day and out of the exhaust pipe came white smoke. I checked the oil and guess what, no oil!!! So I turned it off and let it cool off and added oil. After it cooled down it would not turn over. So about 30 days went by, I took the air intake off, added a quart of Marvels mystery oil, let it soak in for a week or so then turned it over, and it's turning s-s-slow. An engine builder told me I need to rebuild it. So, I need an overhaul how-to book. I need to move it in the shop and tear it apart. I have never done a tractor and don't have a fork lift to move it or pull the engine. Any ideas may help me. So I need to find the year and where to get a book. Here is what's on the Tractor:
    John Deere 4 cylinder Diesel Tractor "JD400 "
    Engine tag: type: M53TW Serial: 162130T
    Under drivers seat tag: type T5W3D serial: 1063481
    Bucket arm tag: type: e-7400 serial: 0080230
    I have been walking around kicking my own stupid butt for not checking the oil!!! So you don't need to tell me about it. I now check the oil and water in my other autos more often!!!! Lesson learned the hard way!!! I don't know how to post a pic on this post.
    Any useful information would be great. Scott

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: I have a John Deere JD400 Diesel

Murph ------------

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

You can order a repair manual from JD by calling 866-213-3373 or 414-466-6060

Tractor
    JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

Found this:
    The JD400--Industrial version of the 2020
    If that info is correct, you might just be able to get a shop manual for a 2020. It should be a lot easier to come by.

And here's the TractorData page for that model:
    TractorData.com John Deere 400 industrial tractor information

Hope that helps some.
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

Donít ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot62 View Post
    Found this:
    The JD400--Industrial version of the 2020
    If that info is correct, you might just be able to get a shop manual for a 2020. It should be a lot easier to come by.
    There are several differences between a 2020 & a 400's hyd systems. The hyd's are somewhat alike but different. I'd spend the extra $$$$$ for the correct service manual.

Tractor
    JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    There are several differences between a 2020 & a 400's hyd systems. The hyd's are somewhat alike but different. I'd spend the extra $$$$$ for the correct service manual.
    Thanks Jim, I was just going by what that website was saying. I didn't know.
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

Donít ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.

Tractor
    JD 400

Thanks guys. I called JD and got the digital copies of the books, wow lots of work. I was hoping that I could get it going without a rebuild. It does turn over slow and does not make any noise. but its very slow even with two new batteries. I was thinking I could start it and see how it sounds? But I think the cylinders may still have oil in them and making it hard to turn over?!? How long should it take for the oil to drain out? Or am I wrong about thinking I could start it!?? What can I do to get the pressure off the cylinders to make it easy turn over? Thanks for the help so far! S

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

I think the engine components that are causing it to turn over slowly are not the pistons & liners but the rod & main brgs. One could remove the pan and inspect the rod/main brgs for damage. There are also 2 balancer shafts in the lower part of the engine block(photo attached) that could have brg problems. Only easy way to release compression would be to remove injectors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -rxp8355________un01jan94-gif  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 01-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Tractor
    JD 400

Hi Tx Jim, I talked to someone about just that. I Am thinking about doing this when I have time. I was also told I can't take the engine crank out without taking the engine out. I Loosened the injectors but did not pull on them thinking the pressure would push them out? I did not want to break the o ring! I think I can spray some WD on them and let it soak in so the o rigs will not break. They have been on the tractor for years. I don't know much about diesel tractors so I am asking the stupid questions so I don't do something that would cost me more money. I have more time than money! thank you for your help and ideas. Scott

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Crankshaft or balancer shafts can't be removed while engine is in tractor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast