70 gas governor bearing upgrade?

/ 70 gas governor bearing upgrade? #1  

mdross1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 70
I have found governor shaft bearing upgrades from ball bearing to Timken roller for older twins does anyone know of upgrades for numbered twins? aka.70

/ 70 gas governor bearing upgrade?
Actually gave up trying to get the parts rounded up for the upgrade.Went to our local dealer great people at Hall's Implement I might add.Ordered the replacement bearing all I could do was smile when looking it over.It is of the highest quality with metal cage for the bearings it is now installed.

/ 70 gas governor bearing upgrade? #3  
Interesting. Since friction in the governor is a no no and balls have less friction I guess the balls must be degrading and forming detents causing notchy action. Hence the timkens with slightly more friction, but long term optimal performance.
,,,larry

A good friend hit me with a reality check one day about the usage of these tractors.As long as they are parked in our shop the hour meter will not register a whole lot in a season.After I retire will look for more chances to get them into fields.My take is that if John Deere is stocking and selling parts cannot imagine they would be junk.These new bearings sure make the governor shaft turn silky smooth.

/ 70 gas governor bearing upgrade? #5  
Considering just how long the original ball bearings lasted, I doubt anyone has to worry about the longevity of quality replacement ball bearings; they'll likely outlast both you and your heir.

You got that right,did replace the bearing on the tach drive side now it turns silky smooth.Also set the ring and pinion fan drive she will be a well oiled machine when assembled.
Most everything that can be lifted and carried has been totally restored, painted and waiting to be reinstalled on the tractor once the seasons change.Still have the crankshaft to change and major cast iron to finish getting ready for paint.All the gaskets and seals are here,just finishing redoing the last pieces of an 801 3pt hitch.