john deere transmission noise

/ john deere transmission noise #1  

ronbehling

Tractor
john deere 50
I have a 1953 john deere 50, it has a noise in 3rd gear, when I have my sickle mower hooked to it seems to pull the engine down almost to the point where it kills the engine. Do I have a bearing going out or something else?

/ john deere transmission noise #2  
It sounds as if there's a bad bearing in trans.

/ john deere transmission noise #3  
Tx Jim said:
It sounds as if there's a bad bearing in trans.

I agree. Or the gear is missing teath.

Any more info on the noises and such that its making.

/ john deere transmission noise
It is a knocking or chattering noise and it is also faintly heard in first gear also. The sound is coming from the right side of the operators platform.

/ john deere transmission noise #5  
Does it do it in reverse?

1st, 3rd and reverse all are the same gear. Most likely a bad bearing on the top shaft. If you let it get worse you could end up with enough play that will allow it to jump out of gear. You should be able to hear and solve which is the bad bearing by putting a screwdriver on the casting near the bearing and putting your ear to the end of the screw driver. It acts like the thing doctors use to check your heart.

If you remove the top cover you will be able to feel the shafts and see which ones loose.

I have not noticed it making noise in reverse. Thanks for the info. I hope to start restoring it this winter.

/ john deere transmission noise #7  
We will need pictures.

CIMG1534.JPG
My dad's 1955 john deere 50 that I restored 10 years ago and 44 plow I restored last summer in 2012 otoe county fair parade.

/ john deere transmission noise #9  
Bearing is my first guess as well and that's probably the only option. Photos of your restoration would be very appreciated.

I had a #44 plow years ago and it did a beautiful job and pulled easy. Might still have the owner's manual for it. No wonder John Deere went to the head of the class with such a quality plow..