'37 Unstyled John Deere A

/ '37 Unstyled John Deere A #1  

Jeler

Tractor
New Holland TC45D, 1937 Unstyled JD Model A, Ford 8N
Hello from Iowa! Believe it or not I started dismantling the Unstyled A two years ago (when I had free time). Well I finally got down to pulling the motor(block & head) out. Unfortunately both the block and head where cracked. I've located another head, but the block #A732R is where I'm having problems making a decision. I've received a quote ($1000) to have the original block repaired but the price is almost double the cost of another block, magfluxed and bored smooth. Is there any value in an older cracked block/trade in value? Any information in regards to my problem would be appreciated or any places I could look for a block or have one repaired in the midwest. (and since this is my first post, I sure hope I've posted it in the right place.)

Thanks from Iowa

/ '37 Unstyled John Deere A #2  
Welcome to the forum. You've got it in the correct forum.

I would have the current block repaired, as opposed to buying another. For all you know you buy the other block and find there is a hairline crack in it too. The only value in a cracked block is scrap price.

Can we see some pictures?

/ '37 Unstyled John Deere A
Mike
Thanks for the quick response! Wow! I'll try and get a few pictures tomorrow, then figure out how to post them here. LOL
Thanks for your expertise on this matter.

Jeff

Mike

Thanks for the explanation about posting. I'll give it a try.
I noticed two small cracks I've photographed. I've put parentheses around them with
a black felt tip.
Also included is a photo of the head that I'm afraid is doomed. In fact I already picked up
a replacement for that. DSCF0189.jpgDSCF0190.jpgDSCF0191.jpg

Thanks again.
Jeff (fingers crossed hoping this works)

/ '37 Unstyled John Deere A #6  
:welcome: And I second that motion on repairing.

Murph

Thank you! Now I just need to find someone fairly close by to handle the job.
Shipping these blocks can be expensive.

Jeff

/ '37 Unstyled John Deere A #8  
I would bring it to a local machine shop. They will have to tools and capabilities to repair it for you and they should check that all mating surfaces are flat.

Good morning again from Iowa, well I located a very reputable shop close to home to access the block and head repairs. Turns out that
the head I purchased after being informed from the seller was in perfect condition, has cracks also. So that will have to be repaired also.
Total estimate is:

After assessing all pieces of the equation, here is what we have come up with:

Bare Head Welded $510
Valve Job And Reassembly $110
Prep Block To Weld $85
Weld Block $220
Surface Block $100
Magnaflux Block $40
Clean Block $45
Pressure Test Block $65
Install Sleeves(2) $500
Cost of 2 Sleeves $369.18($184.59 Each)
Hazardous Charge $134.05
Tax $143.09

TOTAL $2321.32

Ouch, what a way to start a Monday morning. Without knowing if there's any other major repairs that may have to be done on the tractor, I find it almost too expensive to proceed with the restoration. The tractor in my opinion may not be worth restoring at these high cost. I still have to go thru the transmission, purchase a new radiator, gasket kits, clean, paint, carb. and magneto restoration, etc. etc.
This sure appears to be a large sum of $$ for a tractor that wouldn't even bring over $4500 restored. Any opinions?
Thank you

/ '37 Unstyled John Deere A #10  
If you plan on keeping it spend the money. There is no way you could restore a tractor and make a profit. I look at it as a hobby. Some people go to the mall and spend money on shoes and clothes they do not need, we spend money on tractor restorations.