2520 diesel tricycle

/ 2520 diesel tricycle #1  

YesDeere

Veteran Member
Tractor
04/4310
Hey all.

My father and I are going to buy this tractor from his best friend who is the original owner. Been inside its whole life but has been used well for farming. Mostly planting corn with a 4 row AC no til.

We mainly want to use it for the same thing, same planter but basically for fun/food plots. Possibly pull a disc when we find the right one.

My question is, he said it was "making oil". He thought antifreeze was getting in. I have not talked to him yet, this is all through my dad. I'm not sure if it is milky or if it is thin from fuel. Is there any problems that are inherent with this model? Anything you can tell me to look for?

It's such a good deal, and the history of its original buyer/seller make it so we both want it no matter what. Don't care if I have to build it. Plus I have wanted a new generation tractor since I was 8 years old.

I am going to go check it out next week. Haven't seen it in a long time. I will have more details then. But I believe it is a 68 and it is a torque shift. Thanks for listening to my long babbling. Just excited is all

/ 2520 diesel tricycle #2  
If the PO hasn't taken good care of the coolant then the cyl liners could possibly be getting holes in them. This isn't a model problem because many models/brands suffer from this neglect. Diesel could also be getting into crankcase through a faulty lift pump or inj pump seals. JD didn't build a torque shift trans. It either has a Syncro-range or Powershift trans. 2520's with PS trans are very collectable and bring big $$$$$$$$$

/ 2520 diesel tricycle
Thanks Jim. Sorry. I meant synchro. Not well versed in these tractors yet. But I plan on digging in. I have worked on old farmalls, fords and masseys. This will be my first John Deere. Well ag anyway. Have old JD garden tractors. And I only have changed the oil on my 4310.

I think if it is milky you are probably correct. I don't think he was much on maintenance other than oil changes.

/ 2520 diesel tricycle
Well. My father went and paid for the tractor today. Now I just have to pick it up. 7220 hours. Has diesel in the oil. Hoping it is what jim says. It is a synchro. All this is info second hand from my dad. But I do have some pics!

Attachments

• image-2223724395.jpg
    image-2223724395.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 345
  • image-4166017076.jpg
    image-4166017076.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 335
  • image-878355173.jpg
    image-878355173.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 400
   / 2520 diesel tricycle #5  
A wash & wax job will make it purdy. Too bad it didn't have a few more frt weights on it so as the hood would have been protected better.

/ 2520 diesel tricycle #6  
i'd be looking at umbrella seals first..

/ 2520 diesel tricycle
I was a bit bummed about the hood. But it was a sort of gift. 2k

/ 2520 diesel tricycle
Plus. New tires on rear new batteries alt and starter all last year. He wanted someone he knew and cared about have it.

/ 2520 diesel tricycle
Quick update on the tractor

I went to change the oil and get it running about three weeks ago. It definitely has fuel in the oil, to the tune of almost a bucket full. Once started the thing ran absolutely great. No knock and no smoke. I am going down to retrieve it this weekend and get it back to start workin on it. I need some advice on where to get a lift pump for it. The way it ran I am leaning toward a pump or a pump seal. Really impressed at how this thing ran, very smooth shifting and steering.

Tx Jim? Soundguy? Thanks for any help in advance

/ 2520 diesel tricycle #10  
1st part number is JD 2nd PN is A&I
RE42211 Fuel Pump ADD 52.00 USD 52.00 USD
A-RE27667 FUEL PUMP View/Update 40.12 USD 40.12 USD