Model 60 has me stumped

/ Model 60 has me stumped #1  

csmopar

Tractor
John Deere Model 60
I have a model 60 John Deere, Gas. It has me absolutely stumped. Ran perfectly before the below happened

Situation:

A few weeks ago, accidentally ran it out of gas, when it ran out, it had two very loud backfires. Re-filled the tank with clean, fresh gas, just cranks, no fire. So took carb apart, cleaned, rebuilt the carb, installed new screens in the fuel lines after flushing them out, new float, new needle valve. Still nothing, so replaced the plugs, coil and plug wires. Still nothing. Getting plenty of fuel to the carb, plugs do have spark.

Just checked timing, all timing marks line up. So I'm out of ideas. Best I can get it to do is pop a couple of times and occasionally try to run on its own for about 5-10 to seconds. I've played with the needle screws trying to get it, nothing. Suggestions?

/ Model 60 has me stumped #2  
Have you done a compression test?

/ Model 60 has me stumped
yes, it has compression, I just tried spraying gas directly into the cylinders, it will fire on that but it will not run, its like the carb isn't putting fuel to the cylinders. I do have gas going to the carb so it's got to be something internal in the carb

/ Model 60 has me stumped #4  
Take the drain plug out of the carburetor bowl and drain out any gas that is in there. Then hold open the valve on the sediment bowl. Does gas drain freely out of the carb? If not your needle could be sticking. Does it have a steel needle or a vition tipped one? A lot of the replacement needles are vition tipped and known for sticking.

/ Model 60 has me stumped
Gas does drain freely when doing this. Only thing I can think of is possibly something with the jets being clogged

/ Model 60 has me stumped #6  
The 53-60 we had had a oil pressure fuel shut-off on top of the carburetor, you had to hold a button down on the top of the fuel bowel if it ran out until the gas flowed into the carburetor.

/ Model 60 has me stumped #7  
Clogged jets could certainly cause your problem.... you'll have to re-check that. Very carefully, cause it's so easy to miss.
You did say you ran out of gas...... maybe the bottom of your tank had some debris in it and went to the carb. You have a fuel filter in the line to prevent that?
Also, since you have compression (I assume you checked with a gauge) it should be drawing in the fuel to fire.
What was your compression number?
If the gaskets around the carb are missing or leaky, it will suck air through them and not the fuel.

/ Model 60 has me stumped #8  
You may also want to check that there is no restriction in the air breather. Take the oil cup off the bottom and try starting it.

Good point about the gaskets. It is less likely on the two barrel carbs because they are held on with four bolts, but the single barrel carbs would warp from stress and only make contact on the gasket at the bolts. Take a flat file and just lightly run across the mating surfaces and see if you have high spots keeping the gaskets from doing their job.

/ Model 60 has me stumped #9  
Could be sucking air from bad gasket install (happens), --use liquid gasket (careful not to plug any passages) and while carb is off blow all passages clear with air.
(I have even used axle grease on both sides of carb gaskets (it works).
If float is brass, does it leak? (and get filled) if cork, replace.
Did you adjust float level?
And if crud, blow air back thru line back into tank to clear the line.

I have made many a carb gasket with cardboard and grease that works til this day. (A guy can't have all sizes on hand)

Good luck, I'm sure it is nothing but air leak or dirt.

/ Model 60 has me stumped #10  
Are the plugs wet when you pull them out? You may try opening the pet cocks for easier cranking. On mine the petcocks are under neith the block and just inside frame rails. Tractor will run with them open and less stress on battery also will clear any flooding that may be happening. i would suggest the gasket might be torn as was said earlier