alternator stolen

/ alternator stolen #1  

hangon

Tractor
john deere 4020
I need to figure out what alternator goes on my 4020 john deere . I talked to the local dealer and they gave me a part number for a 35 amp 24 volt alternator but I checked and the tractor has a 6 volt battery on the right side and a 12 volt battery on the left side. I belive the tractor is a 1971 model , diesel , there were two wires going to the alternator.

/ alternator stolen #2  
A 6 volt and a 12 volt battery? The short bit of research I did on the net, showed that the 4020 had either a 24 volt system or a 12 volt system. I did not find anything regarding an 18 volt system. How are the batteries connected, series hopefully, parallel would be a problem. Is there any information on the starter, i.e. 12 volt, 24 volt?

gordon

/ alternator stolen #3  
tractordata.com lists this for your tractor:

TractorData.com John Deere 4020 tractor information

There is a link to a source for a manual on that page. If you don't have one, I'd get it. It shows 12 volt batteries. I'd guess your system is 12V with the batteries wired parallel. My 4440 is 12V with two big 6V wired series. I don't think Deere made anything as small as yours with 24V, but that's just my guess. The manual linked on the page I referenced will tell you for sure.

/ alternator stolen #4  
Diesel-24v Gas-12v Go to jdparts.deere.com and you can find all you need in the parts catalog-even wiring for it.You don't have to sign up,unless you want prices.Go to Ebay,put in either AR40419,or TY1448,and one comes up for $388(and it is 24v)
I just looked again,and it takes one long 12v battery for gas,and 2 for diesel

Last edited:
   / alternator stolen #5  
the tractor has a 6 volt battery on the right side and a 12 volt battery on the left side. I belive the tractor is a 1971 model , diesel , there were two wires going to the alternator.

If serial number is 201,000 & above it came from factory as a 12 volt system. '69 - '72 4020 has 3 pt & remote control in a console on RH side of seat SE501340 ALTERNATOR View/Update 317.60 USD
If it were my tractor I install a Delco alt. instead of the contrary Motorola..

/ alternator stolen #6  
Someone stole your alternator. A sad commentary on today's society, isn't it?