John Deere 820 hydraulics

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics #1  

Circle W

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 820
I am fairly new to the tractor scene, but have learned a few things about them since I now have one. I have a 1968 John Deere 820 that runs great. I've recently changed a bent drag link and one of the steel hydraulic lines. Like I said, after those repairs the thing has run great. But when I checked the hydraulic dipstick near the right foot plate, I noticed that I was above the fill line. How can I drain some of the fluid out of there or is it ok to have a little bit extra? Also, the fluid appears to be sort of creamy colored (almost gravy colored), should I be concerned? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics #2  
Cream colored hyd oil indicates moisture in the oil. Moisture is detrimental to brake linings. I'd recommend changing the oil & filter. JD recommends Hy-Gard oil or it's equivalent. Oil is supposed to be checked with engine running.

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics #3  
Yep you need to change fluid and filter .

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics
Thanks guys. So how do I get to the filter?

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics #5  
Filter is inside a cover under the tractor near the rear axle. Remove the retaining bolt and the cover can be removed. Replacement filter should come with a new o-ring for the cover. I believe there is also a drain plug in the same general area. It's been several years since I replaced my filter. I need to do it again soon. Not looking forward to it, as I recall it was a rather messy job.

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics #6  
Actually, it might drain through the filter cover. It's been so long that I just don't remember.

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics
Thanks everyone, hopefully I can take it from there. I honestly don't know how many hours it has on it. The only gauge that still works is the temperature gauge.

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics #9  
Trans drain is close to hyd filter in bottom of trans. Removing trans filter will not drain trans oil.

/ John Deere 820 hydraulics #10  
That's correct Jim. My operators manual actually shows two drain plugs, one near the filter cover and one on the other side of the trans. Also there is an intake screen cover that should be removed and the screen cleaned when the filter is changed.