john deere 400d

/ john deere 400d #1  

400d

Tractor
1974 john deere 400d
Hi, I have recently purchased my first tractor,1974 john deere 400d. I have encounted a hydraulic problem with the 20 series loader. After working flawlessly for 2 months the loader has lost pressure ( will lift, but not with any wieght). The fluid is clean and full. The bucket tilt still works fine. Anyone out there have some ideas how to pinpoint the problem? Thanks.

/ john deere 400d #2  
How long since hyd filter was changed and sump screen(parts key #22) was checked/cleaned?????

Attachments

• CC5835_________UN08SEP94.gif
    CC5835_________UN08SEP94.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 355
   / john deere 400d
How long since hyd filter was changed and sump screen(parts key #22) was checked/cleaned?????

Thanks for your reply, I don't know the maintainence history of this tractor. I will change the filter, the manual for the loader shows a screen at the bottom of the resevoir but I took the line off and no screen. I am wondering why the bucket tilt still works fine( with heavy load) woudn't a clogged filter or screen cause problems for the tilt as well? Thanks for your help, I have alot of mechanical experience but tractor hydraulics are new to me.

/ john deere 400d #4  
Welcome to the world of closed-center hyd's. With your mechanical experience you should be able to understand the hyd's. I suggest you get a JD tech(service) manual for your tractor and to study it.

/ john deere 400d
Welcome to the world of closed-center hyd's. With your mechanical experience you should be able to understand the hyd's. I suggest you get a JD tech(service) manual for your tractor and to study it.

I need to clarify, my jd 400 is a 1974 compact tractor (slightly bigger than a lawn tractor) 20hp v-twin. I cannot find a tech manual for it. I will try using a later model service manual, hopefully the main principal will be the same. Thanks.

/ john deere 400d #6  
Thanks for clarification. JD called your machine a Lawn & Garden tractor.
Service Manual CD-ROM SM2103CD 400 Lawn & Garden Tractor

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 122
   / john deere 400d #7  
Thanks for clarification. JD called your machine a Lawn & Garden tractor.Service Manual CD-ROM SM2103CD 400 Lawn & Garden Tractor

Have you changed the hyd/trans filter?

Attachments

• CC5835_________UN08SEP94.gif
    CC5835_________UN08SEP94.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 173