1967 JD 400 backhoe Diesel operation Q (2020 diesel owners may be able to help ?)

/ 1967 JD 400 backhoe Diesel operation Q (2020 diesel owners may be able to help ?) #1  

Jeremy Jon

Tractor
Ingersoll 4016, Ford 1700 FEL, 1967 John Deere 400 backhoe
Hello, I've gone and worked a trade for a 1967 John Deere 400 backhoe. It's diesel and the story is that it hasn't been run in 5 or 6 years. It's been outside under a tarp, so it isn't in horrible condition. The wiring leaves a lot to be desired and as soon as I can get it running and trailer it back to my place, the sooner I can begin to sort out the wiring. I've gone and purchased all the manuals for the tractor, so I have reference material to look through.

67 JD400.jpg

The scenario is this: The key had been lost. The woman selling the backhoe had previously had interested people look at the hoe and one guy tried (unsuccessfully) to start the thing and couldn't without a key. (At first, I thought the guy had no ability or knowledge because it isn't difficult to jump the starter directly).

In reading the tractor operators manual, I see that in order to stop the diesel engine, you turn the key off. The hand throttle all the way forward is "engine idle" speed. There is no kill knob or lever to actuate or pull.

I had a look at the wiring diagram in the service manual. Apparently this tractor has a diesel "Fuel Injection Pump Solenoid" somewhere in the fuel system, which without power, will not let fuel to the engine.

Screen shot 2013-07-11 at 9.13.45 PM.png

Since the wiring is disconnected in various locations... I'm guessing that there may be a broken or disconnected wire so it may not be getting any fuel!

Does anyone know where the Fuel Injection Pump Solenoid is located? I'd like to test with my meter to be sure I have 12v with the key in the run position. Maybe that's why the guys before me couldn't get the tractor running? The goal is to get it running under its own power to make loading on the trailer a simple operation instead of an all-weekend event.

any help is appreciated. Pictures would be welcome, since I am not yet 100% versed in this tractor.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited:
   / 1967 JD 400 backhoe Diesel operation Q (2020 diesel owners may be able to help ?) #2  
Its on the injector pump. Its the only wire going to the injection pump. When you get a "hot" wire going to it, put your hand on the soleniod and you should feel it open when you touch a hot wire to the terminal.

/ 1967 JD 400 backhoe Diesel operation Q (2020 diesel owners may be able to help ?)
Ahh, Thank you for a speedy reply! With luck, I might get a chance to fire the thing up tomorrow night. Much appreciated.

Jeremy

/ 1967 JD 400 backhoe Diesel operation Q (2020 diesel owners may be able to help ?) #4  
if 400 has a CDC inj pump parts key #9 is fuel solenoid. If it has a JDB pump it will be under the cover in 2nd photo. Depending on SN(>117906-) an ign key should be available from any JD dealer. AT195302 Key(set of 2 keys) ADD 7.32 USD

Attachments

• T17460_________UN01JAN94.gif
    T17460_________UN01JAN94.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,604
  • T20277_________UN01JAN94.gif
    T20277_________UN01JAN94.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,746
  • T20260_________UN01JAN94.gif
    T20260_________UN01JAN94.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,283
Last edited:
   / 1967 JD 400 backhoe Diesel operation Q (2020 diesel owners may be able to help ?)
if 400 has a CDC inj pump parts key #9 is fuel solenoid. If it has a JDB pump it will be under the cover in 2nd photo. Depending on SN(>117906-) an ign key should be available from any JD dealer. AT195302 Key(set of 2 keys) ADD 7.32 USD

Jim, Thanks for the input. I did get a key from the JD dealer the other day. according to the parts book, I have a Roosa Master pump on this hoe. Its an oldie- S/N 061640 from the online research I found... it works out to be a 1967 unit.

Jeremy

/ 1967 JD 400 backhoe Diesel operation Q (2020 diesel owners may be able to help ?) #6  
I have a Roosa Master pump on this hoe. Jeremy

I'm not trying to be a smart Alec but either type inj pump it could have from the factory was a Roosa-Master.

Oh.. you learn something new every day. it appears I have a CDC pump.

no luck on starting the hoe because the starter was frozen. the solenoid was pulling in and throwing the bendix. power was being sent to the starter winding. I took the starter off the hoe and brought it home, took it apart, cleaned it up and lubricated the shaft and bushings. the bench test went well after putting it back together.

tomorrow is another day.. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Jeremy

/ 1967 JD 400 backhoe Diesel operation Q (2020 diesel owners may be able to help ?) #8  
Before re-installing starter I'd suggest to attempt to turn engine over with a bar through the starter mounting hole.

Thanks Jim. Thats a good idea.. just to make sure no valves are stuck and that the engine spins freely.
Jeremy

So the engine barred over well and was easy with the starter removed. I installed the starter and within a few minutes had it running for tue first time in close to 6 years. It certainly started easier than it shut off. I turned tue key and my fears came to life... it didn't shut off. it was idling nicely though, so I didnt feel hurried to try and get it stopped. I pulled the wire off the fuel injection pump just in case it was seeing stray voltage. it still ran and ran. Figuring the solenoid might be stuck open, I mechanically agitated the side of the injection pump. that didn't help.

As I was searching for the fuel tank shut off valve, I noticed fuel poring over the exhaust manufold from the cracked rubber "T" fitting at the injector fuel return line intersection. Since a good amount of fuel was streaming down the side of the engine... I was in a bit more of a hurry.

I finally found the fuel shut off at the bottom on the tank. I had a tough time getting my hand/arm up thre with the front counterweight strapped to the front axle. I finally got the valve shut and I waited.. And waited.. and waited.. I even tried shutting the exhaust stack flapper and holding that shut, but all it did was identify the exhaust leaks and the engine kept running.

I tried bringing up the RPM a bit thinking that if I can get the engine to consume more fuel that what I suspect might have been leaking by the tank shut off valve then it would finally shut off right? One would think..

I tried to actuate the hydraulics to hopefully stall out the engine. I got the loader to raise a little but then that was it. nothing would move, not even the hoe. (so it looks like I will be reading up on hydraulics tonight). As a last ditch effort to shut it off... I tried putting the tractor in gear (has a reverser) and tried to stall the engine, but when I let the clutch out... Nothing. tye tractor didnt budge. it didnt even roll a little. (So now I have to read up on the drivetrain.

all in all, I got it to run. hydraulics are next. I need to get the hoe and loader in transport positionto get the tractor on the trailer. even if I cant get it to move under its own power before I truck it home.. having a working hoe to push the tractor onto the trailer is a necessity.

more fun scheduled for tomorrow. :)