SE MI

Default JD 730 - New to me and issues with transmission and battery draining.

I recently acquired a John Deere 730 gas and have a few concerns with it before I plow or show with it.

It runs great and has an older restoration, paint is kind of faded, but the tires are good and has a 3pt, (no top link *cough* *cough*)

BUT... transmission was only on the low/left side and wouldn't slide past the center of the selector gate, but I discovered today with some finagling I can get it into high gear on the right side... BUT... it is very finicky in engaging and wouldn't engage either sets after a certain point of stopping and trying to go again. Randomly it started to engage in gear again. I was thinking it was a shift fork, but now I'm thinking it's a shaft bearing.

Think there will be any issues driving it a few miles?

Battery draining is the other issue, the fuel gauge was warm to the touch... so somehow I think it's draining through that. Oh I don't know.

bismarck, north dakota
    john deere

Default Re: JD 730 - New to me and issues with transmission and battery draining.

i have a 720 and my battery drains through the fuel gauge also
    if i push the fuel gauge button in and let it snap back back out quickly i can usually get it not to drain the battery
    i have to replace it i guess

and also my transmission has the same problem that yours has but i don't know why?