Another Painting Question

/ Another Painting Question #1  

MH50

Tractor
John Deere 820 Massey Harris 50 and others
Hello everyone. I am about to start painting another tractor my JD 620. This tractor is one that will be put to use and worked, but it will be taken care of like all of my tractors. Currently i have the tractor dissasemble much further than any tractor i ahve painted before. (block is out getting rebored...) So i figured i would take the opportunity to rtrally paint it well, but my question is, how should i paint it so when it is all assembled it looks good and with out killing myself for time. I was thinking paintint the small parts with rattle cans before pariail assembly then spraying the whole thing once the block is back in. What order have you guys painted these these in before. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also should I use paint from JD or should I go get a single stage urthane from NAPA. I have used single stage urthanes in the past with good results, but i am unsure of the JD dealer paint quality.

thanks again!

/ Another Painting Question #2  
Here's what I did to paint my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor after taking it apart and cleaning the parts.

MM-BF painting-2.JPGMM-BF painting-3.JPGMM-BF painting-4.JPG

Bought the paint, primer and reducer from Equipment Color at

http://www.equipmentcolor.com/

Good luck

/ Another Painting Question #3  
i would avoid the rattle can paint. it willnot be the same formulea as the paint mix. will be thinner too. and may not perfectly match the tint.

I like to shoot the entire frame and casting, and then shoot the tin, and hang the tin.

if you are using multiple quarts / gallons.. intermix them so the tint is the same.

/ Another Painting Question
i would avoid the rattle can paint. it willnot be the same formulea as the paint mix. will be thinner too. and may not perfectly match the tint.

I like to shoot the entire frame and casting, and then shoot the tin, and hang the tin.

if you are using multiple quarts / gallons.. intermix them so the tint is the same.

That is k what I had done in the past. My dilemma is that if i paint it before i put in the engine block there weill be areas which i will not be able to paint well, so that leaves me paining it all seperate which i woul imagine will take major time and allot of space. so my thinking was to rattle can the small parts and areas which will not be visible/ hardly visible once assembled then shoot it all at once (minus the tin). do this make sence? I am trying to avoid having to clean my gun a bunch of times to paint little spots a a time.

but i also dont want to have to paint it again in 5 years so maybe i shouldnt worry about the time cleaning the gun.

/ Another Painting Question #6  
that's what they make 4oz touch up guns for!

I wouldn't want my main paint job determined on having to stick to rattle can paint.

That is k what I had done in the past. My dilemma is that if i paint it before i put in the engine block there weill be areas which i will not be able to paint well, so that leaves me paining it all seperate which i woul imagine will take major time and allot of space. so my thinking was to rattle can the small parts and areas which will not be visible/ hardly visible once assembled then shoot it all at once (minus the tin). do this make sence? I am trying to avoid having to clean my gun a bunch of times to paint little spots a a time.

but i also dont want to have to paint it again in 5 years so maybe i shouldnt worry about the time cleaning the gun.

/ Another Painting Question #7  

I wouldn't want my main paint job determined on having to stick to rattle can paint.

/ Another Painting Question #8  
Great thanks. How has that paint held up?

Looks like new. But the tractor has been inside most of the time so there's been little exposure to strong sunlight so far.

/ Another Painting Question #9  
Great thanks. How has that paint held up?

Looks like new. But the tractor has been inside most of the time so there's been little exposure to strong sunlight so far.

Ok sounds like I am going to be getting a smaller gun and doing everything with that. I guess I never really thought about god paint sticking to rattle can. Currently I have a siphon feed gun but have been reading about the gravity feed guns a harbor freight ( purple guns). I think I might pick one up and use it. I hope to get painting soon, but I will not rush the prep work.

Any other suggestions on paint to use? Is the dealer paint any good, like I said I really don't want to to fade and look some crazy color of green in 5 years. Lol. Thanks for all the input!