55 John Deere model 50 electrical issue

/ 55 John Deere model 50 electrical issue #1  

Flashy65

Tractor
John Deere 50
I have a model Fifty with an electrical issue. There is a white (or faded yellow) wire from the ignition switch that goes to the regulator mounted on top of the Generator. The wire is 12 volts hot all the time, no matter if the main switch is on or off. This tractor will draw down a battery quickly when parked unless you unhook this white/yellow wire. Then, of course I am always re-equalizing the charging circuit or it won't charge while it's running. It can be started and operated with the wire off (no charging), and it will be fine as long as the battery is charged up.

I cannot find an accurate schematic with the internals of the ignition switch, but I am leaning toward this piece being my problem. Otherwise, the volt regulator is to blame with a sticking set of points in it, but I HIGHLY doubt that there is supposed to be 12 volts hot on it all the time.

Anyone?

/ 55 John Deere model 50 electrical issue
Thanks. That does show the connections, but it the white wire at the volt regulator/generator hot all the time?

/ 55 John Deere model 50 electrical issue #4  
I don't know..Can you trace it to and through the initiation switch..That would tell you when it should be "Hot"

I am hoping someone can tell me that's the way it's supposed to be or not. A schematic and not just a wiring diagram might show if the wires are connected all the time or connected with contacts inside the switch.

/ 55 John Deere model 50 electrical issue #6  
Thanks. That does show the connections, but it the white wire at the volt regulator/generator hot all the time?

Yes white wire a regulator will have electricity as long as battery has voltage if amp meter doesn't have an open. I'll bet the regulator is the elect. drain.

OK, thank you.