JD Model m locked transmission

/ JD Model m locked transmission #1  

dickrett

Tractor
jd model m
I have just started a JD Model m which has been stored for several years.
When I release the clutch it stalls the engine. I took the top off the transmission and all is free except the input power shaft which will turn back and forth for only 1". Any ideas?

/ JD Model m locked transmission #2  
dickrett. Just noticed your post and Once had a j.d. 40 close to the M .
Had a problem of the shifting yoke allowing the transmission to slip into 2 gears locking up the cluster gear. Since already have top off look for shifting yoke to be worn or bent .
Be careful if so since the cluster gear costs $200 worn condition .
Still have the rear pto shaft and housing if you should be needing one.

Welcome to TBN
ken

/ JD Model m locked transmission
Thanks for the post Ken, It does seem like its locked in 2 gears but what is confusing is that if I manually slide all of the gears moved by the yokes into a neural position, i.e. not engaging anything, its still locked.

/ JD Model m locked transmission #4  
Since the clutch must be working due to stalling when clutch pedal is released can you release clutch and hold by putting a stick to hold the clutch released or pedal all the way down.
Then jack up one rear wheel a about 1" off the ground then attempt to rotate the wheel.
If so good
If not could the brakes be frozen by rust or lack of used these many years.
Now attempt to align gears to neutral remember the reverse gear.
Should be able to move the input shaft since the clutch is released from flywheel.
attempt to move the cluster gear if there is resistance now it gets deeper toward the differential (rear end)
remove and I cannot remember if there is a cover on top of transmission . if so look inside to see if all looks proper. move rear wheel to see if things move around.
if all looks good . return to transmission and place in selected gear to see what is causing the problem
On my 40 T I lost a tooth on cluster gear which then lodged in another gear and then the tractor worked like a hungry person on a ear of corn. shelled the teeth off.

Is this a wide front end tractor. M or Mt in size.
For a few additional bucks I have a Allis Chalmers WD-45 wide front that is in good running condition rebuilt engine. runs good . Would you consider a trade. If so shipping can be arranged.
Let us know what you find in your M

Think must be only owner in the county haven't seen another and it came from Iowa

Thanks Ken, The brakes and rear end are OK as I rolled the tractor out of the barn by hand. I'm going to have to get a repair manual so I know what I'm looking at. no I don't want to trade as I have a sentimental attachment to the machine. My Farther bought it new around 1940 when I was a kid. I spent the next 18 years driving it for plowing. harrowing, mowing and loading the honey wagon. So now in my retirement I want to restore it to plow my driveway and misc. around the house. Also I have a Model L, same situation but that one may need bearings, has a knock.

/ JD Model m locked transmission #6  
Thanks Ken, The brakes and rear end are OK as I rolled the tractor out of the barn by hand. I'm going to have to get a repair manual so I know what I'm looking at. no I don't want to trade as I have a sentimental attachment to the machine. My Farther bought it new around 1940 when I was a kid. I spent the next 18 years driving it for plowing. harrowing, mowing and loading the honey wagon. So now in my retirement I want to restore it to plow my driveway and misc. around the house. Also I have a Model L, same situation but that one may need bearings, has a knock.

I Understand . Know where the Farmall H my father had up to when he died Then another part of family wanted. And with out mentioning to me he sold to a neighbor .
So engine runs. tractor rolls and brakes work. Clutch must work since you said engine dies when clutch released.
Can you with transmission cover off. coil wire removed so cannot start. engage starter and watch the gear movement when gears are in neutral. pilot shaft to transmission should spin .with no engagement to cluster gear.
Keep up with the answers since I guess I'm the only one who cares. Wonder where all the "experts" are to help.
ken

I Finally got back to working on the tractor this weekend. Found that the cluster gear which is on the input shaft is perminatly engaged to the pto shaft and fixed to the input shaft. There is also another set of gears on the two shafts perminatly engaged. since the gears are all different sizes its locked as if in 2 speeds at once. i found that water had entered aroung the shift lever through a deterated rubber cap freezing the cluster gear to the shaft. I soaked the cluster in WD40 and jacked a rear wheel which I worked back and forth in high gear. The cluster gear finally started to move a little and eventually broke free. SUCCESS

/ JD Model m locked transmission #8  
drickett I mentioned it was so close to the cluster gear .
The input shaft from clutch drives a gear to directed by shifting forks recall mentioning my 40 T shed the cluster gears because shifted on to 2 gears and locked up the cluster gear.
Glad it works and carefully look at shifting forks. they should be free yet snug in the glides.
A replacement rubber cup will save the aggravation the next time left out in the rain. Might be a good time to replace the gear oil , water and oil doesn't mix.
ken