1944 John Deere B

/ 1944 John Deere B #1  

rt7cattle

Tractor
Ford 2600 Ford 3000 John Deere 5310 John Deere B
Past weekend I bought my first 2 cylinder John Deere, it was someones 4-H project about 6 years ago. I have researched all i can with no luck on the oil bath air cleaners for these tractors. After a almost 200 mile trip home it started leaking oil out of the oil bath, and it appears someone has drilled a hole it it at one time, maybe dirt had it stopped up while I was looking at the tractor?

Attachments

• IMG_1894[1].JPG
    IMG_1894[1].JPG
    377 KB · Views: 6,526
  • IMG_1893[1].jpg
    IMG_1893[1].jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 862
   / 1944 John Deere B #2  
rt7cattle May be a metal screw would plug up the hole.
Welcome to TBN

ken

/ 1944 John Deere B #3  
Could you post some pictures of the spot where it is leaking? Is the hole in the bottom of the cup where the oil sits on the bottom of the oil bath air cleaner? If so it could have been caused by water getting in there in the past.

Water is denser than oil so will settle to the bottom when the tractor isn't running. Sometimes this will cause rust in the bottom of that bowl. I've never seen one with a rust hole, but they are easy enough to find used. Just buy one in nice shape, clean it up, paint only the outside, pour in some engine oil, put it on, and you're done.

/ 1944 John Deere B #4  
Sorry Mate but I can't resist...

...It's not leaking oil, it's marking it's territory!

:laughing:

/ 1944 John Deere B
Thanks I'll try to get a picture of it Friday when I get back. Other than that it seems to be a solid old tractor, it has recently had new rear tires and a new radiator core. I have to get it ready for the local tractor show this weekend.

/ 1944 John Deere B #6  
Nice tractor:cool:, There is a 47 H that is in need of some TLC in my mothers machine shed. Maybe some day it will look like yours.;)

/ 1944 John Deere B #7  
Congradulations! We have a B, D, and H in the family. super fun tractors!