John Deere 2510 Diesel Tire Removal Help Needed ASAP

/ John Deere 2510 Diesel Tire Removal Help Needed ASAP #1  

joost123

Tractor
John Deere 2510 Restoration Poject - FFA
hi, i'm fully restoring a JD 2510 Diesel for a school project. I've pretty much got everything down (trans, engine, electrical, hydraulic) except for the wheels. I've never taken off the rear wheels or moved the wheels on a new generation tractor. And i was trying to take off the wheels so i could replace the axle bearings. and like most of us i didnt read any directions or instructions before i began taking them off. I removed the three inside and three outside wedge bolts. nothing came off so i idiotically removed the two jack bolts... I now know that was maybe the worst thing to do. I read what to do and was putting one of the jack bolts back in. Now that one is stripped and wont go in or out. How can i get this out? Also, i was probably gonna leave it like it is and just try to beat the wedges out. Can this be accomplished without using the jack bolt to push them out? And i've been hitting on the 1/4 inch of wedge showing on the outside of the wheel. Any and all input is greatly appreciated in advance

/ John Deere 2510 Diesel Tire Removal Help Needed ASAP #2  
Apply liberal amounts of PBblaster or Kroil,smack end of axle with a BIG Hammer and hope you can get jack screws to help you. Rear axle brgs are replaced by removing axle housings from diff housing not by removing wheels from axles.

/ John Deere 2510 Diesel Tire Removal Help Needed ASAP
Yeah I have the housing removed but you have to put the axle shaft in a press and press the bearing off. And there's not enough room between wheel and bearing to use bottle jacks.

/ John Deere 2510 Diesel Tire Removal Help Needed ASAP #4  
You don't have to put axle in a hyd press to R&R axle brgs & races. A big hammer & punch will remove/replace the brgs & races

/ John Deere 2510 Diesel Tire Removal Help Needed ASAP
You don't have to put axle in a hyd press to R&R axle brgs & races. A big hammer & punch will remove/replace the brgs & races

The races and bearings are put on extremely tight. I finally removed both wheels by making a homemade punch out of a thick piece of pipe that fits snug over the axle. I cut a half circle out of the end and put 2 3/4" plates on the other end and beat the one wedge out and it only took about 30 hits with a sledge. The tech manual says you have to heat up the special cap and races and bearings to 300* in an oil bath to expand them enough to put them on.

/ John Deere 2510 Diesel Tire Removal Help Needed ASAP #6  
I forgot about the need to heat brgs in hot oil for installation. I'm glad you got your wheels off although removing wheels doesn't aid brg R&R. It's been since the late 80's since I was a JD dealer service manager so a lot of technical things have slipped my memory.